Questions from a new owner - Anchors, etc.

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew_Smith

Ron,

I have a followup question regarding the kellet/sentinel weight.  Following the procedure that you outlined,  I clearly see how the sentinel is going to improve your holding power with no detrimental effects.  

However, if you let out more scope and do not increase the line on the kellet, you are depending on it not getting tangled up in the rode.  If it does, your kellet line just became the anchor rode which could cause your anchor to drag.  Has this ever been a problem?

Thanks,

Andrew

Ray & Sandy Erps

Hello Andrew,

I use a kellet quite often and haven't experienced the problem you were describing.  My kellet is a lead down rigger ball that slides down the anchor rode on it's own stainless steel shackle.  When letting out a little extra rode, I just give the kellet line a couple of jerks to make sure the extra anchor line slides through the shackle.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Ron Hill

Andrew :  I've never had a problem with letting out some more rode (usually about 10 more feet).  I may only let out 2 or 3 more feet of sentinel.  That kellet weight will go down the anchor rode when the wind blows.  If the wind doesn't blow you may just be "anchored" by the sentinel.  That's OK as the boat will still pivot around that line and NOT get wrapped around the wing.  If you don't let out any more tag line it still make no differance as that weight is still down the rode.  If you'll look at the example that I recommended in Chapmans, you'll see that the kellet is only 1/2 way down the rode!  I also use an anchor float and have never wrapped the float or its line (even in the rudder).

We average over 110 overnights on the boat each year.  We usually anchor 6 nights and go to a marina on the 7th.  Had the boat to Florida and back.  I've been anchoring like this for 17 seasons and never had a problem.  Try it - you'll like it!!  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788