Lift pump fuel element for M-35

Previous topic - Next topic

jw

I was browsing through a website on the M-35 engine and the spare parts kit includes a "lift pump fuel element".

I replace my Rancor and the fuel filter on a regular basis.  I don't want to sound stupid but is there a third fuel filter I'm supposed to be replacing?  Where's this one hiding?

As far as I know my thermostat is original from 1990.  Should I add that to the spares list as well?

Thanks,

jw

rdavison

There is a third fuel filter.  You access it by twisting off the bottom cap on the lift pump.  I'm out on the boat so don't have the number handy.  We only replace that filter every two years or so.

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

If the fuel is plumbed from the tank to the primary (RACOR-type 2 Micron), then to the pump and finally to the 10 Micron engine-mounted filter, you shouldn't ever have to clean or change the filter in the pump.  Annual inspection of this filter is sufficient.  

Some boats were manufactured with the fuel flow from the tank to the pump and then to the primary filter.  Most folks have modified these connections to ensure that the first stop the fuel makes is the primary filter (this set-up is recommended by Racor and Universal).  

If your boat still has the fuel line lead from the tank to the pump, there is a Mainsheet article that will detail the line swap.

Cheers,

Mike