Overheating problem

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidComando

Battling a 30+ knot wind on the bow yesterday returning home from an excellent July 4th, my mild overheating problem became a big problem. What happens is that at 1500 rpms. the engine temp hovers around 170, when pushed to 2200 rpms the temp goes to 190. With the added load of the 3-4 foot waves and the 30 kt. wind the temp went to 200 which caused me to lower the rpms to under 2000, which resulted in going nowhere. In spring the 2" heat exchanger was boiled out, I have a new thermostat, the raw water impella was replaced, and the raw water strainer is clear. All that's left is the engine water pump? The M25 has less than 700 hours on it, Kindred Spirit is a 1987. Help!

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Dave,

Recommend you consider replacing your 2" heat exchanger with a 3" model.  The 2" can be adequate with proper maintenance in a cool climate; but looks like in your case it's not.

It's also worth a phone call to the folks at Universal, since it may be just fine to run the motor at warmer temperatures for a short period of time.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Stu Jackson

Dave

Good new - bad news: same answer - it's NOT unusual.

The 2 inch HXs all do that.

We swapped out to a 3 inch HX this year and have no issues.

A Find on heat exchangers will give you all you need to know.  There's some older stuff in the FAQs. 200F isn't bad if it stays there.  Ours always continued to climb.  Read your engine manual, should have operating temps in there.  If not, check Torrensen's website with the Universal manuals right online.

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/universal/200157/

Just relax, you are NOT alone.
 :rolleyes:
Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Steele

I have had overheating problems with my M25XP with 3" HE in the past.  Normally I would find a small amount of debris in the strainer, but noting huge.  This year a seal on the pump failed so I replaced the pump. During the change out I found an impeller blade in the outlet elbow of the old pump.  I don't have any experience with the 2" HE but this might be part of your problem... Have a look for grins.

Tom Steele
Windseeker

DavidComando

Thanks to all for your help! I have my homework cut out for me but at least I have a head start knowing where to look, and what to do. Dave Comando, Kindred Spirit #55