Connection At Base Of Deck Stepped Mast

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Bain PAZZO #113

I have traced a short in my VHF possibly to the base of the deck stepped mast. I don't know whether to demast the boat....possibly just lifting the mast up on the crane, drill a hole into the mast and try and pull out the connection and replace, or attempt to fish a wire down the mast and into the compression post.....ok....now I may be dreaming!

Any sugesstions would be great!

Thanks!

Richard

RV61

Richard,
I had a bad cable last year mid year and the boat was new to me and did not want to pull mast as I was planning to do it in the fall.nd  
 I bought a hand held VHF for the cockpit and as a future backup to the one wired in at the nav station. You may be able to lift mast up and change the connection however I do not see why you would need to drill into the mast. You will need to have the cable ready to feed when they lift it wich means going up top prior.  My mast has a plastic tube inside that all my wiring goes thru. This past winter  with the mast down I pulled the mast cap and tied small string to old and pulled thru then pulled new one thru no problem, easy with the mast down. Changed the connection under where the mast was at the deck, recaulked and was done. While the mast was down changed out steamming light bulbs,the mast light and inspected all the rigging.