Batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

James Moe

I should read these things before posting.  Blue Circle's phone is 888 832-2423.  Ask for Harv.

Eliosso

Just prchased the alternator and installed it yesterday, actually had it installed along my all of my electrical upgrades. Everything is just great except that I get a very high reading on the RPM , now it goes up to 4000 rpm , is there an ajustment possible on the tach itself ?? if not my electrician tell s me I will need to change the tach , Any comments??
Paul.

Ray & Sandy Erps

I experienced the same change in my perception of the engine's RPM's with the Blue Circle Alternator.  I thought maybe a slightly smaller diameter pulley might be responsible, but haven't measured it yet.  While it would be nice to have the tach read accurately, it's really not more that a quick reference point for setting the cruising speed for me.  With the GPS, I've made a couple of runs compensated for the tidal current to figure out what "new" rpm is necessary to run the boat at about 5.5 knts.  So that's how I'm going to deal with this problem.  I've seen others write about some dip switch settings on the tach, but my guess those settings probably won't make small adjustments.  I'm sure some specific advice will be forthcoming.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

dprice

A major change in RPM would be an indication that the new alternator has a greater number of poles that the original one or the new pulley ratio's are vastly different.  The tachometer on my boat #1407 was made by teleflex, http://www.tflx.com/.  This may or may not be the same on your boat.  The tachometer has either a rotary or dip switch used to set the number of poles and also a small "POT" that you can use for small adjustments.

I had asked Teleflex a similar question last year and they faxed me the following document.  Hope it helps:

http://cyc.plugnpay.com/c34/teleflex.pdf

Eliosso

Has anyone gotten an answer from teleflex regarding the new dip switch settings for the tach ??
Paul

Ray Erps, #923 Diamond Gi

Paul,

Jim Moe indicated that the Blue Circle Alternator had the same number of poles as the original, so I suspect that the problem is a slightly different pulley size and no dip switch changes should be required.  I read the link provided by David Price.  It shows a screw for fine tuning the RPM.  This task is pretty low on my list of things to do, but maybe someday, I'll look at the engine manual and see how many RPM's the engine is governed at (top rpm setting or low RPM setting and turn the screw to get the corresponding reading when the engine is revved up, no load and at idle and find a compromise setting.  The link suggests getting a manual tach to hook up to the motor to calibrate the electric one, but that may be hard to come by.

Ray

Stu Jackson

Tachometer Dip Switch Setting

Paul

This deserves a new thread, which I'll start.

Also try this for starters:

http://c34.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=419104705&r=947109705#947109705

I'm going to look at the Tech Notes that Ron suggested and hope to get a more specific answer for you, but we both should check the Tech Notes.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

brant/bruja

I've done the battery upgrade, but you've already gotten good advice.  My c34 is currently in a slip in Hualtuco, Mexico.  I will return to it in November and then head to El Salvador, Costa Rica, and Panama. I'd like to make contact with you-could you send your e-mail address.  Many thanks. brant@suwa.org

Eliosso

Contacted, Teleflex and got the instructions and calibrataed my tach, All works fine now.
Will post the dip switch settings this week
Paul

Stu Jackson

Jim Moe's complete article has been posted on the Projects page on the main website:

http://www.c34ia.org/projects/projects-electrical-system-upgrade-2.html

Please note that some of the links I pasted above are to the old infopop server.  They DO NOT work anymore since we switched over, sorry about that.

You can get to most of them by doing a search on batteries, alternators, etc.