Autohelm ST4000+

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

Mannaged to drop my old autohelm last fall getting off the boat, thus a new one to install.  Any suggestions as to where to put the display?  Can I avoid cutting any new holes?  I presume that would mean reconfiguring my 1986 pods at the hels station.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

BillR

Mark,

I am currently installing a 4000 II and am installing the Control Display in a Pod.  There is an Edson single Pod that can be mounted a the top above the Datamarine Pods.  However, there are two issues with this installation and they are the power lead from the boat and the compass lead.  The power lead from the control to the 4000 is easier to manage even if run outside.  If your boat has been in salt ware and a tropical cliimate as mine has been, older wires are more rigid and sensitive to stress.  So be careful feeding the lines through the pedestal guard.

rappareems

Bill,

Thanks for the reply.  I went on the Edson site pp. 48/49 of the catalog, "Instrument Housings".  I am presuming that the Autohlm display housing will fit in the Edson pod and attach to the pedestal guard by clamp, correct?  No need to cut another hole in the boat to mount the display in the cockpit. That would be great.  Boat is in fresh water so wiring should not be a problem, Lake Ontario.  Fill me in on any other details I may need to know I am doing with a couple of buddies, one of which knows his stuff.  Thanks again.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

BillR

I have not mounted the Rudder control piece as yet.  If you get there before me let me know what difficulties you find.  On mounting the compass, this may help:
http://c34.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=search&s=329609511&reqWords=autopilot

Good luck.