Sam Takes A Flyer!

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

All Sea Dog/Cat owners -

Last weekend we were anchored out, as usual, enjoying the sun and fun in the Sound off Santa Rosa Island. Jan and I were up on the foredeck and Sam, our overweight LasaPoo, was in his usual place snoozing, just aft of the mast, and just to the right of the salon hatch in the shade of the sail cover. I went down  to refresh my drink and opened the salon hatch to catch a little more breeze. (Are you getting the picture?) I went back up on the foredeck and laid back listening to J. Buffet on the stereo. All of a sudden we heard this frantic scatching sound and a loud thud. We looked back and - No Sam! We ran below and there he was on the cabin floor - shaken, not stirred, and looking like he had just had the surprise of his life. He had rolled over in his sleep and fallen right through the open hatch. The scratching sound was his frantic, valiant effort to avoid the inevitable.  He was OK, though, after I fixed him a drink. So, if you have a dog, cat, or toddler aboard, make sure the salon hatch is closed or opened just enough for air circulation but not enough for them to pass through.

Mike

Jim Price

And I thought only two-legged dogs fell through open hatches after having a drink! :D
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

jeff

Mike
Can relate. Sail with two shetland sheep dogs (shelties) - never had a "fall thru the hatch event", but have had close calls. Try to keep companion way hatch slid closed for same reason.
Jeff
C34 #1102
Salty Dog(s)