MACERATOR PUMPOUT

Previous topic - Next topic

RON

WE RECENTLY PURCHASED OUR NEW TO US 1987 CAT. 34. THE MANUAL SAYS TO CLOSE VALVE A AND OPEN B.THEN TURN ON THE PUMP AND IT WILL CHANGE ITS SOUND PITCH WHEN IT IS PRIMED. MY PUMP SEEMS TO BE REDUCING THE HOLDING TANK BUT IT DOES NOT CHANGE PITCH. IS THAT POSSIBE? HOW LONG DOES THE PUMP HAVE TO RUN BEFORE IT CHANGES PITCH? IS THERE A VISUAL CK. I CAN PERFORM TO VERIFY THE PUMPS PERFORMANCE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I NEED TO ADDRESS THE PUMP OR THE HOSES FROM ANY OF YOUR EXPERIENCES. THANK YOU

Mike Smith

Ron -

Congrats on the new boat! Be sure to fill out your identification information of the Web page so we know more about your boat and how it is equipped. We can answer questions much more easily that way.

The macerator pump is pretty much primed when you turn it on. As it operates, the pump sound will change from a lower to a higher pitch when the tank is emptied. I used to run mine for no more than 90 seconds, which someone recommended, but now I just let it run until the tank is empty. My holding tank is chemically treated. Assuming you are in an area in which holding tank discharge is allowed (which is just outside the orbit of Pluto these days), you can test for proper macerator operation like I do. I just squirt some environmentally friendly liquid soap into the head and flush it into the holding tank. Then, I open the outlet valve, turn on the macerator, and run up on deck and look down into the water just above where the holding tank outlet is located. If the macerator is working properly, you should see traces of foam rising to the surface of the water.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

[This message was edited by Mike & Jan Smith "Breezer"  '88 #688 on March 21, 2004 at 01:52 PM.]

RON

DEAR MIKE---THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE MAC. PUMP. IM GLAD TO KNOW THE PUMP IS PRIMED FROM THE GET GO. I THINK THE LONGEST I HAVE RUM THE PUMP IS ABOUT ONE MINUTE BECAUSE IT NEVER CHANGED PITCH AND I WAS AFRAID TO RUN IT ANY LONGER. IT DID SEEM TO WORK BUT I WASNT SURE. NEXT TIME WE GO AROUND PLUTO ILL TRY THE SOAP AND LOOK FOR THE BUBBLES. CAN YOU HARM THE MAC. PUMP BY RUNNING IT TO LONG? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. RON

++++++++++++

DEMERY

Ron,

If the tank is full you'll need to run the macerator for at least 2 - 3 minutes Look in the West Marine catalog for the macerator pump max flow and divded that into 27 gallons to determine the time to empty a full tank. You'll notice a change in the pump sound from a slower lower tone to a faster higher pitch sound when the tank is empty. If you're down near the thru haul you'll also hear the sound of bubbles (air beging pushed through). Good luck and remember turn off the pump has soon as the tank is empty (to short, tank will not be emptied, to long and you'll fry the pump).

Jeff

Ron,
Just a thought:Unless you are certain there is 'stuff' in your tank, I would put a few gallons of water in just to be sure you are not already running the pump dry!!!
Jeff

Jack James, #1560

I don't have a problem running the mascerator, ,but I do have a problem knowing when the holding tank is full until it starts overflowing the vent on the stantion. Phew!  Any better way?  My tank solid black so you can't inspect it visually.

tsoko

Jack,
I put in a Sealand Tankwatch Holding Tank alert system for about $60.  It is a most economical way to know when the tank is abouat 3/4 full. Page 545 of teh new WM catalog, but the pictures are mixed up with the fancier model.  Easy to install and very reliable after two years.

Ken Morton

We installed a Snake River unit to monitor all four tanks.  It measures in tenths of vertical liquid.  Because the holding tank has a nonlinear cross section, the last tenth indicates a much greater volume than the first tenth. The unit has served us well.
Ken Morton - Trident, 1300