spring projects

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob delli #98 Isabel

Today I adressed the play in the rudder post. I ordered the bushings from Catalina ( they come as a pair) I read the post about cutting the emerg. tiller head off and replacing it, but the play was not that bad so I wasn't going to do that. I put a floor jack under the rudder and raised it as far as it would go. Then using a wire cutter I cut about 1 1/4 inch out of one of the bushings and snapped it around the post almost like a retaining clip. This removed all the play in the post and seems like a perfect solution. I'm not anticipating the missing inch or so being a problem down the road. Also adjusted quadrant cables. After unscrewing the plywood cover, It's easy to access the ajustment nuts.I used a screwdriver to hold the eye of the bolt while tightening slack with a 7/16 deep well socket. You cant see the double nut setup underneath, so just remember to loosen the outer nut first to enable the adjustment (they lock when together) then tighten. I haven't done this before, but was careful not to over tighten. I went just far enough to remove the play. No problem at all,  wheel response is beautiful now. The hardest part is leaning into the aft compartment. Bonus is now taking the plywood cover home for cleaning and painting before re install. just about ready for launch!

#98 Isabel

Also tightened rudder packing. I put about 3/4 turn in each bolt. I think this is where I take water while motoring. My prop shaft packing leaks almost nil, so where else? I noticed the bilge pump activating after about an hour or so of motor sailing.

#98 Isabel

Oh yeah, I put almost a full turn in all the keel bolts. not quite 110 lbs on all bolts, but close. It seems like they were never touched before.