Stipid questions should be welcome

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kuba

I agree that there is a wealth of information on this site. But we have to go searching for it. It would sure be easier if it was organized into subject areas such as Electrical, Rigging, Engine, Sails, etc., etc.,

Not knowing the exact text to type for a certain subject can consume a lot of time, lead to unrelated areas, and be pretty frustrating to boot.

But I tip my hat to the guys that run this site, I know first hand that's it's a lot of work. I run the All Catalina site in Chicago,
Catalina Fleet 21 - Chicago Region, and it's a heck of a lot of work to keep it current.

Between this site, and the C36 site, nicely done gentlemen. But it could be a little more user friendly...

Roc

Bob,
Your reco on separating by subjects is a good idea.  Acutally, I posted a message here once talking about this very same issue, and noted that this is how the C36 site is organized.  The problem with that is in order to keep things organized, the people posting questions need to make sure they are putting it in the right bucket.  If not, it may make things even more confusing.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Bob Kuba

Maybe in the "New Topic" area for starting a post, there could be a Drop-down menu box with a list of Subject Topics. That would go a long way towards keeping things organized.

I don't know if that's possible, but hell, I have a Catalina 34! So, Anythings possible!

ansusna

There are obviously differing opinions on this subject.  Here is my two cents!

On one hand the "experts" are correct, everyone should do there homework.  I have posted several questions, and in every case received outstanding advice.  I am extremely grateful for all of the "free" guidance and expertise.  This site has saved me alot of money and countless hours.

That being said this is a hobby and should be fun at all costs!  At times I have nervously pushed that (post now) button, waiting for the "didn't you do your homework" reponse.  That response turns people off, like it or not.  By the way, if you want to keep the site clean, the administrator can simply delete repetitve subjects from the archive. That's not a great argument.

Stu, I think this a great webite and an invaluable resourse, but you can't write a whole article about how too many people are asking stupid questions and then just add a sentance at the end saying it's alright.  I had the same impression as John when I read your article.

Andrew "Cheers" #471

C36 Guest

C34 sailors

I have a C36 and browse here, too.  I just read the Mainsheet article, and don't understand what this is all about.  The search engine you guys have is great.  It's like using an index in a big book.  What's the big deal?  As far as I know, there are no moderators or administrators here at all, just a looping continuous message board with a bunch of vets who are trying to steer you, maybe too hard.  
While sometimes it may be wrong to say 'do your homework,' when was the last time you got out of school sucessfully without doing it?  Yeah, I know, this isn't school, but you're still looking for answers.  And if you look harder at some of the issues you're complaining about, I think you'll find that MOST of the time, the people who are answering the questions DO give you the URLs to start looking, and then sometimes go even deeper into giving you more cross connects.  And it's sometimes really not something you couldn't do for yourselves for "old" questions.  But didn't the Mainsheet article end with something like keep posting?  My read on this is to say that the people answering the questions should just limit themselves to posting the connections to the answers, and just keep the homework out of it.  But you also have to understand their frustration when they know it's so easy to find the answers.  Drop down menus for topics have already been addressed.  Many years ago someone suggested that you put a topic on your postings for your replies as well as topics to make the searches go easier.  There's lots of examples, like water heaters, electrical, engine (parts).  What Bob, Roc and Andy are suggesting is already there.  And don't forgt the main website which has a lot of old material, and the tech notes.  Wow, all the tech notes right online.  Lotsa reading, but what more can you ask for?  To all of you, including the "research gurus" just keep up the good website and great information, and maybe you can make this the last post on this subject.  Why not take it offline and go to the pople directly?  Enjoy what you have, and simply work together.  I also saw somewhere about reorganizing this 'site.  Why anyone would want to tamper with this is beyond me.  Where do you put fuses for starters, electrical or engine or both?  There are lots of cross references that your existing search engines cover much better than trying to categorize things.  Quit while you're ahead.  Good luck, I'll keep looking and getting the info I need.