LA/Burbank area Marina's

Previous topic - Next topic

rwilkinsii

I am moving to the Burbank area with-in the next 2-3 months and am need in a place to berth my c34. I am looking for a family friendly marina. I am also needing to know if there are any sticked rule and regs for being in the Cali area. Also should i get a bottom job done here in TX or wait till i get there.

Thanks for all you help.

Rich Wilkins
Watergate Marina
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil' Tiger
rwilkinsii@yahoo.com
Geaux Tigers!!

sail4dale

Cabrillo Beach Y.C. in San Pedro (L.A. Harbor) has our own marina.  I have my Cat34  in the marina and we rent to members of the club and "some" to non members.  Our membership lives all over So. Calif. and Burbank isn't that far away.  We are the closest marina to Catalina Island our foremost destination.

Fortunately, our 30' slips will accomodate a Cat34 unless you have a added overhang on the stern.  We also have an active All Catalina Fleet  :cool: that is based here also.

If interested, get in touch with me at sail4dale@sbcglobal.net.  By the way, we are full now and slips over 30 feet are scarce but we do have 30 foot slips become available quite often.

Stu Jackson

There are lots of great marinas in LA.

Either before you go or once you get settled, send me an email at sec@c34.org and I can provide you, or anyone else who'd like, an XLS spreadsheet with C34 owners in the area, based on zip codes or states from our C34IA membership database.

Fleet Formation packages were developed by Commodore Bill Jenks and are quite helpful.

I'm sure other C34 owners would all like the opportunity to get together.

Hope all three of you have a great and safe move.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kent

Marina Del Rey is a great place to berth a boat.

PAUL T.

Welcome to California Rick and Stacy. You might want to consider the Ventura county area, about 40 miles from where you will be living. There are two marinas within five miles if each other. Ventura is about 40 miles north of LA. The sailing is a bit more challenging up here and you have the beautiful Channel Islands as your playground. If your into anchoring in gougeous unspoiled coves (no moorings), no developement of any kind you will love it. And if you feel like going to Catalina it is only a 60 mile sail. As far as the bottom paint question, do you have an ablative paint or modified epoxy paint? Eblative paints are not legal in California. If you have eblative you will probably want to do the bottom in Texas. You can not put modified epoxy over an ablative paint.if  you are going with modified epoxy, be aware that you must put the boat in the water within 72 or 96 hours after application. Also be aware that slip availability is scarce in Southern cal. You might want to try to reserve one in advance. If I can help you or you have any questions, feel free to call me at 805-498-8960 PAUL..........

Paul Blumenfeld

Hi Rich and Stacy,

I live in Ventura and have my Cat 34 in Oxnard's Channel Islands Harbor.  Another C34 is docked next to me. They were actually the #2 owner of my boat several years ago. I enjoy sailing here as there is almost always wind. The channel can be a bit rough but weather is pretty predictable. I previous had a Cat 25 here so rought is all relative.

Space is limited in both Channel Islands Harbor and Ventura Harbor.  If you get up this way let me know.  Be glad to meet with you at the boat!

Paul (too!)
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

PAUL T.

Hi Rich..... I got your E mail I'm answering you on the message board so maybe one of the Gurus of the website can help. You asked me how to tell what type of bottom paint is on your boat. I can only tell you that Eblative paint is very soft and comes of easily,as it is designed to slough off when the boat is moving.
Epoxie paint is much harder and not made to slough off, it slowly leaches the poison out of the paint. Epoxie paint will rub off a little especialy if it is old. Maybe you can find out which types of paints are used where your boat was hauled. Whatever you do don't put epoxie paint over ablative, you can do the reverse.
Hope this helps........ Paul.

Stu Jackson

Paul and Rich

Maybe a new topic on "Kind of Bottom Paint I Have" will help.

I am not personally sure, but it seems to me that the "softness" of the paint may not have to do with it.  Both MAY be hard to the touch, but the difference between ablative and the harder paints is in the chemical composition, rather than the physical touchy feely type of check.  The difference is how they work when underwater.  Ablative physically sloughs off, the harder ones stay firm but lose their chemical deterrent.

Rich, is there any way you could contact the PO and ask?

BTW, not sure about the question.  If you're truckin' from TX to CA, if you need a bottom job, why not wait 'til ya get here?  As you may be aware, CA has some more RESTRICTIVE anit-pollution than TX (like, "hey Houston, seen the sky recently?")  

Man, movin' to CA from TX must be a GREAT relief.  :)

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

I think Paul T.'s first post lays out a good reason why Rich might want to do the bottom in TX.   ;)

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

dchurch

Rich:
Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Southern CA.  You will have quite a few options on berthing if you're willing to drive a few miles.  A good resource is "The Log" annual "Where the Slips are" report.  http://www.thelog.com/special/sectionview.asp?s=209

The best sailing wind is out of Long Beach/San Pedro (Port of Los Angeles, Alamitos Bay area).  There are many slips in the area, but we share waterways with shipping traffic.  I berth in Shoreline Marina, Long Beach.  There are some great yacht clubs, and slips are fairly available (maybe a waiting list now, but shouldn't be long).   Marina Del Rey is also a popular spot for your location.  MDR is a very large harbor, but it can take a while to get to open water.  It is the closest marina to Burbank, and probably your best bet.

Ventura/Oxnard, up north, have a couple very pretty marina's as well.  Its a long haul to Catalina, but they have the channel islands.