Wiring Autohelm ST-4000 control motor

Previous topic - Next topic

johnkountz

I'm installing an ST-4000 and I wanted feedback on how others have run the wiring from the wheel mounted motor to the control unit.

On my C250 I drilled a hole in the wheel guard and ran the wire down through the guard and then through the deck. The other option would be to drill a hole into the pedestal and run the wires down through it.

'89 #936 - Tranquility

tandm

Our boat has the Autohelm wiring running through the pedestal.  It was installed by the previous owner so I can't give you much advice on the installation. The hole has a grommet that fits tightly around the wire to keep moisture out and protect the wire from the aluminum.  If I had to do it myself, I would be worried about keeping it clear of the pedestal's internal moving parts. However, in 2+ years of owning the boat this has not been a problem.

td

rirvine

The wires to my ST4000 motor run from the control unit into the pedestal guard via the hole in the back of the enclosure and exit from the guard about 1/2 down the starboard side of the guard and hence to the motor.  Because the motor end has a large connector, the wire has to be threaded starting at the motor end.

SailDan

As in the case of "Pregrine", our ST-4000 was also installed by the previous owner with the wiring run through the pedestal.  Has worked great with no problem since 2000 when we brought "Weal Sea".
Dan H.

Mike Smith

John -

I installed an angled pedestal guard and Navpod housing on Breezer last spring. Here is the resulting thread. Briefly, I was concerned about the three 12V power (the PO ran separate #10 12V wires to each instrument and the compass light!) and two data cables running inside the pedestal, so I moved everything but the wire for the compass light to the pedestal guard. I didn't want to drill into the pedestal itself, so drilled two 7/8" holes through the cockpit floor where the pedestal guard legs attach to accomodate the various 12V power and data cables. I ran one 12V power cable up the port pedestal guard leg to a terminal strip in the Navpod housing. From there power goes to the autopilot head which in turn powers the speed and depth instruments via SeaTalk and the GPS. I ran the 12V autopilot drive cable from the ST4000 head down the same port leg to a hole I drilled just opposite the autopilot drive motor then out to the motor, sealing the hole with a rubber gromet. I wanted to keep the 12VDC circuits in the same leg to avoid any possible interference with the instruments. I ran the  data cables (depth and knotmeter) down the starboard leg. Since I have my GPS mounted in the center of the pedestal guard just below the Navpod housing, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the Navpod housing and dropped the GPS power/data cable down to connect to the GPS. It was pretty easy to do and I had a lot of help from the other C34 owners on this board.

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

[This message was edited by Mike & Jan Smith "Breezer"  '88 #688 on December 01, 2003 at 08:57 AM.]

saltydog

Another 2 cents worth: My wiring run through pedestal and has been no problem for 7 years. If you run in pedistal guard tubing requires additional hole in cockpit sole which could be another source of leakage.
Jeff