Universal M-25/XP starter amperage?

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Has anyone confirmed (i.e., measured) their starter draw?

I know 80 or so is the rule of thumb but Rodd indicates that the max would be MUCH higher (which says to me more than 2x, maybe 3x?) 
Unfortunately, Rodd hadn't put actual numbers to an M-25; only to a larger 4-cylinder Westerbeke.

Thx!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Carbon

I put a Victron Smart shunt on my battery bank. It should see all the current going to the starter while cranking. It shows about 150 Amps. I can't see the inrush, it's too quick and over too fast for the Victron to pick it up.

The glow plugs draw about 50 amps.

The engine is a Universal  M-25XP.
1988 Catalina 34.
Fin Keel, Tall rig
Universal 25XP
Stockton MO

Kyle Ewing

Not a direct answer but another data point: I have a 150 amp breaker on my M25xp start battery. It hasn't tripped once in many years.  I sized it based on feedback from this forum and online research.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

High Current

Sorry I'm late to the party.  It just so happens I measured mine with an oscilloscope shortly after I bought the boat a year and a half ago  :D   Summary answer is peaks ~220A, but the battery was a little tired so give it some margin.

Here's the capture.  CH1 (yellow) is voltage, CH2 (blue) is current.  My current probe is 10mV/A, so 2.22V is 222A and 1.14V is 114A.  The large ripple is caused by the compression strokes.
Ben, #1050, 1990 Mk 1.5 std rig / keel

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Carbon

Quote from: High Current on October 17, 2024, 05:27:09 PMSorry I'm late to the party.  It just so happens I measured mine with an oscilloscope shortly after I bought the boat a year and a half ago  :D   Summary answer is peaks ~220A, but the battery was a little tired so give it some margin.

Here's the capture.  CH1 (yellow) is voltage, CH2 (blue) is current.  My current probe is 10mV/A, so 2.22V is 222A and 1.14V is 114A.  The large ripple is caused by the compression strokes.

That's interesting. I've played around with an oscilloscope a bit but I don't own one.

If you were sizing wire & fuses would you size it for the peaks at 220 Amps or the average at 167 Amps? The average is close to what my Victron Smart Shut reports (150 amps). I tend to think the average is what you would use, but I'm prepared to learn something.

Thanks

Jack 
1988 Catalina 34.
Fin Keel, Tall rig
Universal 25XP
Stockton MO

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 17, 2024, 10:13:36 PMBen

Is she an XP?

Ken, with that hull # it is most likely an M25XP.  Unless someone changed it out, it came from the factory with an XP.

Quote from: Carbon on Yesterday at 09:22:01 AMIf you were sizing wire & fuses would you size it for the peaks at 220 Amps or the average at 167 Amps? The average is close to what my Victron Smart Shut reports (150 amps). I tend to think the average is what you would use, but I'm prepared to learn something.

Thanks

Jack 

Jack, don't overthink this.  From the earliest Catalina 34 boats, the wiring from the batteries to the starter was #4.  Some would argue that this is now considered "horribly undersized."  But for years. Maine Sail has been making the point that while the current may be high it is for an extremely short duration.  My #4 wiring is still in place and I have had no trouble starting my engine (it's an M25, but essentially the same electrical load as an XP's starter).  Catalina has increased the wire size in later models, although I do not know specifically what it is.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Thank you to all who posted their data points!!
A prior reply questioned where I got the 90A average - it wormed into my brain a long time ago, and was also on Jon's spreadsheet for his rewiring (techwiki site.)  Perhaps I misunderstood his spreadsheet.

Quote from: Carbon on Yesterday at 09:22:01 AMIf you were sizing wire & fuses would you size it for the peaks at 220 Amps or the average at 167 Amps? The average is close to what my Victron Smart Shut reports (150 amps). I tend to think the average is what you would use, but I'm prepared to learn something.

@Jack,
Sizing new cables for someone else was exactly my reason for the question. 

ABYC E-11 says to size all critical circuits (starter, nav lights, bilge pump, and the like) for no more than 3% voltage loss round-trip. 
ChatGPT returned:
ABYC standards specify that the maximum voltage drop for starter cables should be less than 3% of the system voltage, and this calculation is based on the peak starter current.  This ensures that the engine receives sufficient voltage during cranking, which is critical for reliable starting performance.

But I see nothing in ABYC E-11 re: peak vs avg.  Perhaps that was clarified in a later "Interpretation Letter," but based on peak makes sense to me.  One would not want to starve the starter of full voltage at the point where it pulls the greatest current.  Unlike a fuse not blowing when amperage exceeds its rating for a brief time, the V drop will occur regardless of how short the time period (the 3% sizing is for performance not safety.)

I found Rod Collins adds three other data points:
...a 1987 Universal M-25 draws roughly 225A +/- depending upon temp and other factors. This is the in-rush load though.
and:
the starter [on a Westerbeke 4-cyl] drew slightly over 640A during the peak inrush. [no mention of the avg draw] and later  the "average" starting load [presumably the same engine] was 286A. on a 20F day with the bank/bilge at 32F.

And also from Rod:
Universal / Westerbeke BATTERY CABLE REQUIREMENTS (wire length round trip)
2GA = 8'
1GA = 10'
1/0 = 14'
2/0 = 18'
3/0 = 22'
4/0 = 28'

Everyone should agree that proper-size cables equal easier starting compared to OEM #4 (perhaps that's why some need to add the (IMO) dumb preheat solenoid "fix".)

Jack,
Rod discusses sizing battery fuses and the 150% rule here:
https://pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_fusing

Cheers,
Ken

KWKloeber

Quote from: High Current on October 17, 2024, 05:27:09 PMHere's the capture.  CH1 (yellow) is voltage, CH2 (blue) is current.  My current probe is 10mV/A, so 2.22V is 222A and 1.14V is 114A. 

@Ben

Could you provide a quick lesson how to understand what the screen is telling us?

i.e., the left scale points (circled) and is 114A the AVG or the MIN?
But I'm interpreting 1.14v curve A (voltage, yellow) as the V at the starter B terminal (not starter amperage.)
I'm obviously misunderstanding what the scope is displaying.

Am I correct that it took 2 secs (circled) to start your XP?

Thx
Ken

IMG_1293.jpg

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on Yesterday at 11:56:00 PMThank you to all who posted their data points!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I found Rod Collins adds three other data points:
...a 1987 Universal M-25 draws roughly 225A +/- depending upon temp and other factors. This is the in-rush load though.
and:
the starter [on a Westerbeke 4-cyl] drew slightly over 640A during the peak inrush. [no mention of the avg draw] and later  the "average" starting load [presumably the same engine] was 286A. on a 20F day with the bank/bilge at 32F.

And also from Rod:
Universal / Westerbeke BATTERY CABLE REQUIREMENTS (wire length round trip)
2GA = 8'
1GA = 10'
1/0 = 14'
2/0 = 18'
3/0 = 22'
4/0 = 28'

Everyone should agree that proper-size cables equal easier starting compared to OEM #4 (perhaps that's why some need to add the (IMO) dumb preheat solenoid "fix".)

Jack,
Rod discusses sizing battery fuses and the 150% rule here:
https://pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_fusing

Cheers,
Ken

Thanks, Ken.

1.  For some of you who are new to our Forum, Rod Collins IS MAINE SAIL, who we refer to often in the Forum.  His pbase website is the original version of much of his work, and his marinehowto 'site has his newer material.  Ken and others and I often urge you to spend valuable time there, since Rod discusses interesting boat electrical issues, some specific to our Catalina series of mid-size boats as well as other  issues, like programming Balmar regulators and choosing & wiring battery chargers.  Many of his contributions are linked in our Electrical 101 Topic thread.

2.  Pre-heat solenoid - I do not believe this feature has anything to do with starting wiring sizing, and also don't think it is a "dumb fix."  [I assume you mean the glow plug solenoid --- https://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Faster%2C_More_Efficient_Glow_Plug_Heating_with_a_Solenoid] Based on your comment, Ken, I'd ask what you mean by: "Fix for what?"  All it does is reduce dependency on large current through small wires to the cockpit panel and back.  IIRC, these solenoids were actually added right to the engines in later models.  Those of us old geezers with M25s added the relays ourselves.  Why do you think it is dumb?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on Today at 07:55:32 AM[Rod Collins' aka MAINE SAIL's pbase website is the original version of much of his work, and his marinehowto 'site has his newer material.

Newbies, be sure to bookmark both sites!
Rod duplicated most of (but not all) his content on the Pbase website on the MarineHowTo website (his article that I referenced is an example that wasn't.)

Rod also has good content on SailboatOwners.com that is not on his web pages (I believe that some SBO is referenced in the 101 Topics, but in the past there had been an issue when SBO modified its URLs and our links were dead. That may have been corrected(?) but be aware that one might need to search SBO directly if a Rod link comes back "not located."