Engine Part ID/Hose outlet

Previous topic - Next topic

rjabara

Hello, I have reviewed all of the Universal 35 engine schematics, but I can't identify this part.  The hose is not connected, but looks like it should be?  If so, where does the other end go?

Thanks in advance.
Rich
1990 c34 MK1.5
Chesapeake Bay, MD
M35B

KWKloeber

@rjabara

It is the crankcase breather hose (fumes/oil blow-by, which on autos used to have an in-line PCV valve on it.) 

Westerbeke cheaps out and simply zip-ties the other end against the foam air cleaner.  There are more exotic fixes for that hose end, but that's the basics.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rjabara

Rich
1990 c34 MK1.5
Chesapeake Bay, MD
M35B

KWKloeber

Here's another option for the B engines.

There is a knock-out on the intake manifold that's used for the crankcase breather hose on some Kubota engine applications.
If you zoom in you can see where the hose is attached near the air intake throat.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

waughoo

Ken... that is how I'd like to do mine.  On my m35 there are two bosses on the fore and after section of the intake that I suspect would be good spots to thread a nipple to accept the breather hose.  That said, I'd kinda prefer to mount it right in the center of the intake where the silencer attaches.  It seems like it would have better chance of atomizing and getting pulled to each cylinder intake.  Perhaps that will be a winter project.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Alex

Yup, easy peazy drill n tap / hose barb. 

I done see why others don't go that easy route vs bending into pretzels trying to find the more difficult route of affixing it to the silencer or going team KN.

There's so little gunk do you think it would make much difference if it went to 2 rather than 4 cylinders?

Quote from: waughoo on September 07, 2024, 01:02:54 PMKen... that is how I'd like to do mine.  On my m35 there are two bosses on the fore and after section of the intake that I suspect would be good spots to thread a nipple to accept the breather hose.  That said, I'd kinda prefer to mount it right in the center of the intake where the silencer attaches.  It seems like it would have better chance of atomizing and getting pulled to each cylinder intake.  Perhaps that will be a winter project.