Use Garmin GPS72 as GPS source for RL70C

Previous topic - Next topic

clivewmwalker

Hi.
I recently bought a 2001 C34 MkII ('Jamais Vu'). It has a RL70C Pathfinder chartplotter with external Raymarine RS120 GPS unit.

Short story:
GPS is not working (permanently NO FIX). Assuming the RS120 to be the issue (and after trying the new-battery fix with no success) , I found another (untested) RS120 for $50 in Blue Pelican chandler on Alameda. It also failed to work.

All-in all, I'm looking for alternatives that will not break the bank and/or make my old analog radar obsolete.
Now - when I bought the boat, I noticed that the previous owner left a handheld Garmin GPS72 unit on-board. I have tested this standalone - works fine. (Guessing the previous owner also had found that the Raymarine GPS was hosed). Question is - can I hook the Garmin up to the RL70C and use it as the GPS source?
I note the Garmin has NMEA0183 port (I think output).
I THINK all other instruments talk SeaTalk with the chartplotter.
Looking for all advice on this front and/or alternative approaches.

Cheers

waughoo

Have you tried replacing the coin battery in the GPS units?  I had a similar problem when I got my boat and the battery replacement solved it.

https://youtu.be/aTy385g6lho?si=-uftmC2D3XEgwUtR
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Gary Brockman

I used a Garmin handheld to send data to various instruments when I first bought my boat. I had a cable that sent information out (0183) and 12v in and it worked very well.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

clivewmwalker

waughoo
Yes. Tried that on both the GPS units (including the untested one mentioned above). Both n/g. Kinda made me think that the issue was probably the Pathfinder itself? Honestly I am prepared to believe that both GPS units were broken anyway - they're over 20 years old.

clivewmwalker

Thanks Gary Brockman. I may try that then. I only have to figure out how to connect it up - Pathfinder is in a NavPod

waughoo

Clive,

The daystar can output either 0183 or seatalk 1.  It all depends on how you hook them up.  You may want to get a manual and try hooking them up from scratch to the pathfinder.  You may be right though with regards to the issue being in the pathfinder.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte