New propellor - Campbell Sailor

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

I currently have a Variprop that needs to go in for service as for whatever reason it locked up in the forward pitch only, and we ended up bouncing off the fuel dock.

AB Marine said $1000-1600 USD for a service which in Canadian Pesos isn't worth it for 4 months of sailing a year, and the overall hassle of maintaining it.

I have noted that Campbell Sailor seems to be a popular option and against all odds is made in Canada, so no BS exchange rate to USD.

What I'd like to know is for our boats, with an M35B what is the correct diameter, and pitch?  I can see from the discussions that there is a bit of a difference of opinion due to the engine and RPM matching=pitch.

Thoughts on what's the right prop for an M35B?
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Ron Hill

pby : The diameter should be 15" definitely!! Haven't seen the "size " of the blades so you can look at either 11" or 12" of pitch!?!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

I recently bought a campbell sailor.  They run different pitches and diameters than stock so Ron's recommendations are not likely accurate for the CS prop.  The fellow that sells them has a rather long back log of data and can recommend the correct pitch and diameter for your boat.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

pbyrne

Quote from: waughoo on August 25, 2024, 09:39:42 PMI recently bought a campbell sailor.  They run different pitches and diameters than stock so Ron's recommendations are not likely accurate for the CS prop.  The fellow that sells them has a rather long back log of data and can recommend the correct pitch and diameter for your boat.

AH.  What did you end up with seeing as you have one.

Noah

I believe LogoFreak has one and it is 14x8? Why not message him? Also, have you asked what the prop maker suggests?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Pbyrne,

I would have to look it up.  My best recommendation is to talk to the MFG.  He worked with me to achieve max rpm and nailed the pitch and diameter.  Thus, mine wont be what you want unless those are your goals.  Logo has a different pitch and diameter and has a faster cruise than me.  All of this is based off the MFG's vast experience with his product.  It is also my understanding that he will re pitch it if needed.  Give him a call to chat. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

pbyrne

Thanks guys.  I'm not trying to be difficult. I just thought there would be similarity in the props when engine is the same.

I've read the forum on CS, and it seemed there was some back and worth with CS to sort it out, which I'd like to avoid (short sailing season, and expensive haulouts), and I couldn't see how there would be a difference between my 34 / M35B powered boat and the next guy.

Part of my thinking is that considering the discussions about the prop pitch, armed with the knowledge on this forum, I would be better prepared to have the conversation with CS.

rmjohns

I put on a 14x7.5 about 2 years ago. It's good, but I think it's slightly over pitched as I don't reach 3000 underway. That's on my 1998 Mkii with the M35BC. As I recall the guy at West by North suggested more pitch, so they do tend to be aggressive with it.

One thing I notice, and this is just my experience, is that there is significantly less surface area on the prop, it's a smaller diameter and the blades are thinner. It relies on the shape to really get the push. Nice when you're sailing, but it seems much more impacted by barnacle growth than my old 2 blade.

Rob
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Ron Hill

Guys : 15" is the MAX size diameter or you definitely will get hull buffeting!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Schulcb

I have a 34 mk2 with the M35B engine with a campbell sailor prop.

Stamped on one side of the hub is"D14 RH P8".  On the other side is "S20707"

I have photos, but can't figure out how to attach them.

Craig
Craig S.
s/v 2nd Chapter
Hull #1675, 2004 mk2, M35bc, Tall Rig
Vancouver, BC

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Schulcb on August 27, 2024, 07:36:03 AM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posting and RESIZING Photos 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

pbyrne

Reply from west by north below in full.  Looks like a 3 blade RH 14x8, is the recommendation.  Matches what people have said they have here.

Now, as rmjohns mentions, he's not getting full RPM with 7.5 pitch, let alone 8.  Does anyone have any experience to add to rmjohns?

West by North <kelsey@westbynorth.com>
Mon, Aug 26, 4:12 PM (22 hours ago)
to me

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your interest in West by North Industries and the Campbell Sailer Propeller.

This recommendation assumes a Catalina 34 MKII on a Universal M-35B engine (35hp @ 3000 RPM max). Transmission is Hurth HBW-100 with a ratio of 1.79 to 1. Shaft diameter is 1.0 inch and rotation at the prop is RH. Please advise if different.

Based on the above suggested prop size is 3 blade RH 14x8.

The Campbell Sailer has cupped blades and a leading edge foil. This increases prop efficiency converting a larger percentage of available HP directly into thrust. As a result we often size smaller than other manufacturers for a given installation.

The Campbell Sailer offers the perfect balance between powering, maneuvering and low drag performance. It's the lowest drag fixed 3 blade on the market. Up to 35-40% less drag when compared to equivalent size units from other manufacturers. The Campbell prop is renown for how smooth it runs throughout the entire RPM range.

Pricing is CAD $985.00. Freight with Canada Post is (5-6 business days) is CAD $36.00. Ontario HST (13%) will apply. Manufacturing time is approximately 6-8 business days on order.

We accept e-Transfer or credit card via telephone. We can also send you a link to complete payment through PayPal. This is a convenient and secure method to complete credit card payment. PayPal account not required and no additional fees apply.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Smooth sailing,
Kelsey

West by North Industries
778-802-4202

pbyrne

Quote from: Schulcb on August 27, 2024, 07:36:03 AMI have a 34 mk2 with the M35B engine with a campbell sailor prop.

Stamped on one side of the hub is"D14 RH P8".  On the other side is "S20707"

Craig

That is what is recommended by CS.  Do you find it over pitched?  Meaning, can you get to full RPM of 3000?

Ron Hill

pby : What does the manufacturer of the Campbell Prop recommend for a C34 with an M35B engine????

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 27, 2024, 01:49:32 PMpby : What does the manufacturer of the Campbell Prop recommend for a C34 with an M35B engine????

A thought

3 blade RH 14x8.