Cradle vs. Jackstands

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Ewing

Are the benefits of a 34 year old cradle worth the time and expense to truck it 80 miles to another yard?

I'm considering switching winter boat yards from Chicago south side to Kenosha.  If I do, I need to make a decision about shipping my cradle or using jack stands.  My cradle is the original four pad shipping cradle and is showing it's age.  The yard I'm considering charges a "cradle handling fee" that's essentially the same as jack stand rental.

I expect strong winds being on Lake Michigan.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Jim Hardesty

QuoteIf I do, I need to make a decision about shipping my cradle or using jack stands.

Done right both ways work well. I use jack stands on the shore of Lake Erie, lots of winter winds.  My club is a hands-on club I set and adjust stands myself.  Never had a problem.  I own and use 9 stands, would be happy with 7.  One advantage of stands is that they can be moved to bottom paint.  Disadvantage is stands need to be checked over the winter, the ground freezing will change the tightness of the stands.
Suggest you search here lots of posts on both.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Kyle : You mean that a yard is going to charge you to use your own cradle??
If so - I just might look for another yard!!  That's a forecast of other things/expenses to come!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 22, 2024, 02:30:10 PMKyle : You mean that a yard is going to charge you to use your own cradle??
If so - I just might look for another yard!!  That's a forecast of other things/expenses to come!!

A thought

I think what they're charging him for is to store the cradle when the boats in the water. That's the way my yard in Illinois was.....
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Kyle Ewing

Ted is correct. My current yard in Chicago (Crowley's) includes cradle storage and movement in the fee as most boats store on cradles. The yard I'm looking at (Southport in Kenosha) is about half cradle so they charge a cradle fee with lower storage so overall price is comparable.

If I move, I'm leaning toward renting jackstands and selling/donating my current cradle.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Dave DeAre

Southport will not allow owners to paint under the cradle pads upon launch. If they apply the VC-17, they will paint under the cradle pads. If you rent the jackstands, you might move to paint under them. Seems a little risky and not sure what the yard's policy is on owners moving jackstands.
I just let them paint the bottom every 2 years.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Dave DeAre on August 25, 2024, 04:28:03 AMSouthport will not allow owners to paint under the cradle pads upon launch. If they apply the VC-17, they will paint under the cradle pads. If you rent the jackstands, you might move to paint under them. Seems a little risky and not sure what the yard's policy is on owners moving jackstands.
I just let them paint the bottom every 2 years.

At Skipper Bud's in Winthrop Harbor they would move the jackstands upon request.  I always did my own bottom work.  However that was almost 20 years ago....
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Steventep

Throughout discussions, the expert acts among yourself and the interested client's agent. They might guide you toward reliable professionals, be they they are in house inspection or money advisory. When terms are settled, this particular expert will then coordinate a place assessment and deliberate with you about possible adjustments, deciphering who bears the financial obligation, be it you or the possible buyer.

Agent-Controlled Tactics to Realizing Speedy apartment Deals 82cc20a