Stack Pack Mast Attachment

Previous topic - Next topic

TortolaTim

I just made a stack pack using sailrite's instructions and they recommend attaching the forward upper part of the pack to a padeye on the mast to hold it up. Point "C" on the diagram.
 IIRC, there is a conduit with mast wiring inside at the forward edge. I'm worried that if I drill and rivet a padeye there, I'll go through the conduit and possible damage the wiring inside. For those of you that have stack packs, how is the forward part of the bag supported there? Am I right in my hesitance to try to add a padeye? I think the only other alternative is to rely on the lazy jacks to hold everything upright.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

Noah

If you are worried about hitting the conduit in the front, how about cleats or pad eyes attached on either side(s) of the mast?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

ewengstrom

I built the Sailrite "Sail Pack" a few years ago and did add the small eye above the forward part of the pack and above it.
If you're worried about hitting the conduit I suggest you use a drill bit that is marked at 1/4", or even use a collar to limit the depth of the drill bit. Once you have the holes, tap them out for a machine screw of similar depth and then your conduit and wires will be safe.
I rewired my mast this past winter and encountered no damage to the old wiring from adding the eye.
Hope you love that pack as much as I do, it's been a great addition.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

TortolaTim

Noah, I was considering that too, I just figured the fewer holes, the better.
Eric, thanks for the info. I think I may give that a try. Glad you're enjoying the stack pack. I can't wait to get everything up and running!
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

Stu Jackson

Tim, the "location" of the conduit can be determined by the existing rivets on the mast.  IIRC, it's not right at the front but somewhat offset.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

TortolaTim

Stu, you're correct. The conduit is offset to port a couple inches. I got the padeye installed this morning, no issues.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL