Tank vents

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Vent hoses and stanchion hose barbs don't cause lesks, PEOPLE cause them!!

The deck thru-hole simply reveals you have a problem that could have been avoided!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : If you want to change the vent to other than the stanchion here's what I'd do :

Take the vented stanchion and replace it or
saw of the portion is the stanchion that goes thru the deck!!

Then fill in the hole in the deck with epoxy
You then can bed in (with butyl rubber)the old modified stanchion, but you'll still have the helpers on the deck fending off so you best add a backing plate!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

melp64

Quote from: LogoFreak on July 16, 2024, 07:39:09 PMGet rid of the stanchion vents, they're a pita and don't work well. Vent your holding tank thru the side of the hull with a couple of 1" thru hulls and put some scoops over them.

Did you do this. I know everyone on this site says its a people problem, I haven't decided yet what to do but I'm thinking if the vent was thru the side It would eliminate the possibility of someone pushing or pulling on the stanchion that would cause it to leak inside the boat. I realize that putting the vent on the side won't stop people from pushing and pulling on the stanchions but it would eliminate the water from going down on the countertop and the nav station.
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

LogoFreak

Yes I have personally eliminated the thru stanchion vents, both sides, for holding tank and water tank.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Ron Hill

Guys : No matter if you retain the vents in the stanchion or go to another separate vent.

YOU STILL NEED A BACKING PLATE ON THAT STANCHION!!!   :shock:
Ron, Apache #788