wiring harness

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dawntrader

Current status

I have installed the new engine  wiring harness and voltmeter and have wired the original 55 amp alternator to the house bank. The starter is feed from the battery switch common. I've connected the yellow wire with red stripe to the spade connector on the solenoid (with an inline fuse holder)

my question is the red wire coming down from the panel does that connect to the large post on the solenoid and should it be fused?

I have read many articles on the cat 34 website and am still confused.

Appreciate your input..
peter
86 mk1 m-25
Peter penfold
1986 C-34 MK1
Hull # 184

Ron Hill

Peter : I wouldn't count on doing wiring by the color of the wires. You need to trace the wire from it's origin to where it is connected!!

Look in your owners manual (page 4.2.2) or look that the manual on this site to trace where/what the wiring should be!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

These discuss the wire from the 1-2-B switch:

OEM 1-2-B Switch Wiring History  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4949.msg30101.html#msg30101

1-2-B Considerations (New 2020 - Rod finally got around to diagramming what I had done in the above link in 2009 :) )
https://marinehowto.com/1-2-both-battery-switch-considerations/

The proper place for the fuse is at the battery, because the battery is The Bomb you are protecting against.  So, no, this doesn't need a fuse.

The yellow wire is from the cockpit panel switch or key to the starter solenoid.

Your approach, as Ron says, is to understand what the purpose of the wires are, not just their colors.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dawntrader

Stu/ Ron
Thanks. i have read everything there is to read and there was alot. I have made the upgrades but am still a little confused. The red #10 wire comes down from  the ignition switch at the cock pit panel,   which i believe needs power to feed the instrument panel. just not sure where to connect it . my first thought is from the large Battery post on the solenoid and again i would guess it should be fused but not certain of either. As you mentioned the yellow/red wire comes down from the starter button. Batteries are fused.
Thanks
Peter penfold
1986 C-34 MK1
Hull # 184