Scupper Hoses

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

My boat has a sugar scoop stern. Also, my scupper drain fittings in the cockpit floor were replaced soon after I bought the boat, so I can't help you there.  My bilge pump hoses loop up above the waterline and are attach to the underside of wood "propane" shelf in the aft seat locker with large zip ties.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Baysider,

The fittings for my scupper hoses are the same size on both ends. My bilge pump hose runs straight back to the transom exit fitting, no loop, no access from the head.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

ewengstrom

Kevin,
I'd recommend a vented loop be added to that bilge hose.
Ours didn't have one but it had a one way valve about 1' back from the pump. As far as I know it's been like that since the boat was new. A few years ago we were on a cruise and had motored for several hours. When we anchored I checked the bilge and found it full to within an inch of the floor boards. (Yeah, I know...I should have had the pump set to automatic, but I didn't...my bad)
After much pumping and looking for a broken fitting I finally determined that a small piece of 16ga wire jacket had found its way thru the bilge pump and had lodged itself in the one way valve. This wasn't a problem until we were motoring and I must have run the bilge for a minute. The bilge emptied and then because the transom was squatted down and the bilge fitting was below water it created a siphon and over the course of a few hours it filled that bilge right up.
No harm done, except for a minor panic attack, but I've since installed a vented loop that attaches to the propane shelf in the aft locker. That loop should have been done in the first place.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

scgunner

Eric,

I appreciate the recommendation, it's probably not a bad idea but at this point in my life I'm trying to stop fixing things that aren't broken. A piece of hose jammed in the one way valve is rather a freak occurrence and those things are hard to plan for since they happen so rarely. If the pump had been on auto you'd probably had never known you had a problem. In place of a vented loop you could install an addition one way valve but what are the odds of it ever happening again.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

ewengstrom

Kevin,
What led me to even look at that one way valve was the fact that the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine on his Catalina 27 a few weeks before it happened to me, the info was fresh in my mind so that led me to look inside the valve. As a P.S. to this story, when I popped it off this spring, there was stuff in there again....not blocking it...yet...but it was there.
Cheap and fast fix IMHO, but I get what you're saying about fixing things that aren't broken.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15