Scupper Hoses

Previous topic - Next topic

Baysider

I'm finally getting ready to replace my scupper hoses and have read lots of posts on this site regarding them.  I have a '90 C34 and it seems my hoses, which are brittle, are overkill for the situation.  They're heavy black hoses which I believe are OEM.  An associate at West Marine suggested that sump pump hose like Shields 120 or 141 would be appropriate.  By comparison to what I have that seemed odd until I realized that the submersible and hand pumps use that type and exit the stern right next to the scupper hoses. 

So is the reason for the hose overkill the apparent size differential in the scupper drain fitting and the through-hull?
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Safe Harbor Willsboro Marina
Lake Champlain, NY

Stu Jackson

Steve Dolling sailed his C34 from British Columbia to Mexico.  He wrote some incredibly detailed and helpful reports.  This is one of them:  [scroll up to get to the beginning]

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.msg33610.html#msg33610

In it is included this gem:

- scupper hoses - I replaced these "above waterline" hoses with whatever cheap crap the guy at West Marine said would be good.   When you have a big following sea off the Oregon coast at 2 o'clock in the morning, your scupper hoses are not above the water and there is no comfort in cheap hoses that could get ripped if something shifted down there - I replaced these in Coos Bay with exhaust style hose.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

karista

FYI, since your hull is 1011 and mine is 1012 means that the sugar scoop will make this a PIA job. You will need to find someone short and thin to do this job as basically there is very little room to access the hose fittings.
I would never try to do this job again. I used the same hose that was OEM, it is a very stiff wire reinforced hose. Both of mine had cracks and leaked at the bottom.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Noah

I agree with Bernd, use the exhaust-type hose. Yes it is a PIA in our sugar scoop boats. I recommend removing water tank a to crawl back that way. Check your bilge pump hose(s) while in there to.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

FWIW I used Trident 147 VAC HXD Bilge and Livewell hose. It's a smooth bore extra heavy wall hose that's clear with a black helix stripe. I used a heat gun to soften the end before attaching to make installation easier. They list operating temp as 10-140 degree F. Not sure the operating temp is a problem for you anymore than any other hose, but your call.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Craig Illman

Don't assume they're both the same length, measure both individually. One of mine was an inch different than the other.

Craig

Baysider

Noah suggested I check the bilge pump hoses as well, which is a great Idea.  I'll be checking everything that lies behind the water tank.... just in case.  I have regular 120 style sump pump hoses and they attach next to the scupper hoses.  Was that standard?  What type of hoses do you all have on the sump pumps?  Thanks again.
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Safe Harbor Willsboro Marina
Lake Champlain, NY

waughoo

Quote from: Jon W on July 12, 2024, 01:06:44 PMFWIW I used Trident 147 VAC HXD Bilge and Livewell hose. It's a smooth bore extra heavy wall hose that's clear with a black helix stripe.

Jon's suggestion is what I used when replacing my sump hoses.  Mine were so brittle that seemingly gentle shifting caused them to snap!!  I replaced the line from the transom exit to the above water line loop wye with the wire spiral exhaust hose and then switched to trident 147.  As reported above, that thruhull at the base of the transom is underwater a LOT even in relatively calm sailing and motoring conditions.  It's likely best to use the good stuff.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Quote from: waughoo on July 13, 2024, 09:30:27 AM
Quote from: Jon W on July 12, 2024, 01:06:44 PMFWIW I used Trident 147 VAC HXD Bilge and Livewell hose. It's a smooth bore extra heavy wall hose that's clear with a black helix stripe.

Jon's suggestion is what I used when replacing my sump hoses.  Mine were so brittle that seemingly gentle shifting caused them to snap!!  I replaced the line from the transom exit to the above water line loop wye with the wire spiral exhaust hose and then switched to trident 147.  As reported above, that thruhull at the base of the transom is underwater a LOT even in relatively calm sailing and motoring conditions.  It's likely best to use the good stuff.
I have a continuous run of bilge pump hose with no "wye". My hose just loops up high above the waterline (and is anchored there) for anti-syphon purposes. That "anchor" point came loose once and it was back-flowing whenever stern dipped below the water. So check everything carefully back there. The POs over the years, may have changed things a bunch.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : I used the good sanitary hose!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

I used Trident 147 for the scupper drains and the electric bilge pumps.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

scgunner

Baysider,

The original HD hoses Catalina used for the scuppers are a real PITA to replace and I would imagine even more so on the sugar scoop but there was a reason they did that, they obviously decided that was not a good place to cut corners.

I'd recommend removing the water tank before attempting to replace the scupper hoses.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

karista

Note the little space to connect your Scupper hose. Best to remove the water tank.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

scgunner

One picture worth a 1,000 words.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273