shurflo 2088 fresh water pump leak

Previous topic - Next topic

tomsoyer

hello all. My fresh water pump occasionally leaks because the clear part in the picture pops open. When it does this, the freshwater tank slow drains into the bilge.

1. Does anyone know what this part is? I looked online under the model, but can't find anything that looks like this.
2. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Jon W

Do you have a photo from a little farther away to help us see how it's hooked up? It would also help to add your boat info/year in your profile signature.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

tomsoyer

added a second image.

she is a 34mkii 2001

waughoo

That clear part is an inline filter to keep schmutz out of the pump diaphragm.  You should be able to find a replacement.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThat clear part is an inline filter to keep schmutz out of the pump diaphragm.  You should be able to find a replacement.

Correct. Take a good look at the way it closes.  Think it's like a quarter turn twist.  I have to be careful when I clean mine, it does take more force than I like to put on plastic.  But that's the way it's made.  A little Superlube may help.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

tomsoyer

KWKloeber

Tom

That's a Shurflo 170-061-29 strainer that is NLA.  I suspect it was discontinued when Pentair gobbled up Shurflo along with everything else now under that umbrella.

You might find that a tiny skim of SuperLube on the o-ring might help make seating the top easier.  Otherwise replace it with the current hi-hat strainer.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Tom : If the new O" ring doesn't seal the filter - look at it closely and see if there is a crack that needs to be sealed!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

tomsoyer

thanks for the part# and the suggestion. Looks like the part has been replaced with a different design. I may try to swap it out.