Overheating question

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: Analgesic on July 12, 2024, 04:22:10 AMMy usual auto parts store doesn't have the radiator cap pressure tester to loan/rent.

Usually Advance Auto, Autozone, O'Reilly and sometimes NAPA rent them.
Harbor Freight sells a kit.

Or, buy a gauge, bicycle pump, and a couple pipe fittings and test thru the thermostat cap.  You'll probably want a valve in line to isolate the pump once you pressurize the system because the pump might leak a little.  You also need to know the pressure rating of your cap and not exceed that. I'd buy a high psi cap - like 20 psi - just for the test.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Craig Illman

I rented a radiator pressure tester from a general large rental shop (many years ago).

Craig

Breakin Away

All the local AutoZones near me have them for free loan. You buy it (used) and upon returning get a full refund. They're pretty generic kits with lots of adaptors for different radiators.

A few years ago I wasted a 3 hour trip to the boat because the AutoZone kit was missing the required adaptor, so I decided to buy my own for a coolant replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067UE6IY

Since then I've had no need to use it, so it's sat around unused. But it's there for when I need it.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)