Difficulty finding DEXRON II or III ATF

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakin Away

I thought I'd mention that it seems to be getting harder to find the DEXRON II/III ATF needed for our Hurth transmissions. The auto stores that I frequent are no longer carrying it, and it seems like some manufacturers are no longer making it. Just as with motor oil, stores are increasingly only carrying synthetic lubricants.

I've become very picky about ATF, and will never put synthetic ATF in my transmission. As described in this prior post, my boat's transmission had been rebuilt a year before I bought it, and based on the way it was slipping and taking several seconds to engage in forward a mechanic suggested that the previous owner may have filled it with synthetic fluid:

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,11703.msg94682.html#msg94682

I refilled with STP DEXRON II/III oil and it got mostly better, and with a couple subsequent annual changes it got completely better. Based on this experience I have become a little paranoid, wanting to use the exact same ATF forever. I went back last fall to get some more, and STP had changed their product labeling to something else (similar but not identical), and the resulting confusion led me to delay the purchase and use up what I had of my good stuff. This weekend I went looking for the new STP ATF that I saw last fall, and that has now been discontinued with no DEXRON II or III replacement. I found a Castrol DEX/MERC on clearance and bought a couple quart bottles which should last me 5 years. Walmart has Valvoline DEX/MERC, but only in gallons, and I didn't need a 10 year supply.

Do not use DEXRON VI or later, those are significantly different from what Hurth specifies. And don't wait until the day before you need to change your ATF - it might take a little while to find the right DEXRON II/III product.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

It's part of my annual maintenance to drain (suck out) and over fill the transmission in the fall the draw down to the proper level in the spring.  Several years ago found that the only Dextron (latest number) offered was synthetic. Suppose to be compatible with previous Dextron. I've been using that, Castrol, but any brand would do. I have not had any problems.
Like you I also try to use what works, but in this case I'm buying the new synthetic because it's available and may be better.  At a higher cost.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon W

I searched STP Dexron 2 transmission fluid and found "STP Automatic Transmission Fluid DEX/MERC" at Auto Zone. It doesn't say 2 or 3 on the bottle, but it doesn't say synthetic either. Take a look, maybe that's what you're looking for.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

AndyBC

Jim what do you use to suck out the transmission fluid?  Same method for sucking out the engine oil?

Regarding overfilling the transmission: I haven't done this.  According to the manual, it's not needed for just seasonal lay up.  Only longer term (1+ years).  Have you always overfilled, or only started doing it because of an issue?

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on June 24, 2024, 04:10:31 AMIt's part of my annual maintenance to drain (suck out) and over fill the transmission in the fall the draw down to the proper level in the spring.  Several years ago found that the only Dextron (latest number) offered was synthetic. Suppose to be compatible with previous Dextron. I've been using that, Castrol, but any brand would do. I have not had any problems.
Like you I also try to use what works, but in this case I'm buying the new synthetic because it's available and may be better.  At a higher cost.
Jim

1998 C34 MKII #1394 - M35BC, WK

Jim Hardesty

QuoteJim what do you use to suck out the transmission fluid?  Same method for sucking out the engine oil?

I have used my engine oil sucker but found that cumbersome.  I now use a fluid extractor from Amazon, the exact one I use is not available, just search Amazon for fluid extractor and make your choice.  I really like it.  Use it for a number of small suck up jobs.  Much better than turkey baster for getting that last bit of water from bilge.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Breakin Away

Quote from: Jon W on June 24, 2024, 08:28:15 AMI searched STP Dexron 2 transmission fluid and found "STP Automatic Transmission Fluid DEX/MERC" at Auto Zone. It doesn't say 2 or 3 on the bottle, but it doesn't say synthetic either. Take a look, maybe that's what you're looking for.
The Autozone public website is worthless (according to local store employees). Before heading out, I searched and verified that the 3 locations closest to me all had that exact product in stock. I went to all three stores and they all didn't have it and said they don't carry it. They did not even have a place on the shelf where it should be. I showed them the website on my phone and they just said the website is always wrong. I asked "What if I order it online?" and they told me not to bother, it would just get canceled.

At one store the guy was a little more helpful. He searched for the product on his on-store inventory system and it was not even listed there. Apparently the consumer site and the in-store site are not connected to each other. That same guy used his site to find the Castrol Dex/Merc product, but it took a long time to find it because it was tucked away on the bottom level of a closeout shelf.

I'm not saying that DEXRON II/III is impossible to find, but it is getting more difficult each year, and will likely get more expensive, and we may be forced to use different manufacturers each time. As I mentioned, my rebuilt transmission seems to be picky, so changing brands is particularly annoying for me.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

KWKloeber

Quote from: AndyBC on June 24, 2024, 09:51:19 AMJim what do you use to suck out the transmission fluid?  Same method for sucking out the engine oil?

Andy I have a 12v pump set up that I use for both.
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9554.msg72039.html#msg72039

The beautiful thing (I find) about it is that the "wand" is 1/8" stiff poly tubing that I can direct to/reach every corner that I ever needed to in order to grab the last bit of fluids.

The best part is that besides fluid changes (and I do this whenever possible) it can be multi-use in an emergency.  i.e., emergency cooling sea water pump, emergency fuel lift pump, fuel transfer pump.  And I can use it as a washdown pump.

Here's ways I refill to the proper level:
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/wiki/11617

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

AndyBC

Super helpful, thanks very much Ken!  As Jim mentioned above, the engine oil extractor has been cumbersome

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 25, 2024, 06:09:23 PM
Quote from: AndyBC on June 24, 2024, 09:51:19 AMJim what do you use to suck out the transmission fluid?  Same method for sucking out the engine oil?

Andy I have a 12v pump set up that I use for both.
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9554.msg72039.html#msg72039

The beautiful thing (I find) about it is that the "wand" is 1/8" stiff poly tubing that I can direct to/reach every corner that I ever needed to in order to grab the last bit of fluids.

The best part is that besides fluid changes (and I do this whenever possible) it can be multi-use in an emergency.  i.e., emergency cooling sea water pump, emergency fuel lift pump, fuel transfer pump.  And I can use it as a washdown pump.

Here's ways I refill to the proper level:
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/wiki/11617

-Ken
1998 C34 MKII #1394 - M35BC, WK