Secure Diesel Jerry Cans

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

We keep a single jerry can aboard to be able to stay out of marinas a bit longer.

We keep it strapped to the front of the pedestal at the moment but its awkward, and we also have a gas tank for the outboard to deal with.

What's the best practice for securing the jerry can? 
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Jim Hardesty

Some may object to this, but it works for me. On my MKII I carry spare fuel, 1 gal. and 5 gal., in the anchor locker. Easy enough to lift out when anchoring and it is vented overboard by the drain.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon W

I don't know if this is best practice, but it's a way. I installed Trex boards with SST u-bolts to the port and starboard lifeline stantions. I can carry 3 (water or fuel) of the tall version 5 gallon jerry cans per side. The cans aren't in the way going forward because my jacklines run to the inboard side of the chainplates so I have to go onto the cabin top past the shrouds anyway.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

pby : I've done the same as Jon!!  A common place for cruisers !

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: Jon W on June 09, 2024, 03:19:35 PMI don't know if this is best practice, but it's a way. I installed Trex boards with SST u-bolts to the port and starboard lifeline stantions. I can carry 3 (water or fuel) of the tall version 5 gallon jerry cans per side. The cans aren't in the way going forward because my jacklines run to the inboard side of the chainplates so I have to go onto the cabin top past the shrouds anyway.

How do you secure the Jerry cans to the board?

What makes for a good board?

Jon W

I drilled two ~1.4" holes in the board for each jerry can. The jerry can fits between the holes. I use 5 or 6mm Samson XLS to pass through the holes and lash the can to the board. If you zoom into the photo you may be able to see the holes. If not let me know and I'll take a closer picture. The boards are 1" x 5 1/2" Trex Tropical Tiki Torch composite decking lumber. Stands up to UV and no maintenance.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

"Tropical Tiki"!  My favorite! ;-)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

I forgot to mention you should get yourself a shaker type siphon hose to transfer the diesel from  the jerry can to the fuel tank. I bought mine a long time ago, don't remember where I got it. Much easier than dealing with a full jerry can. I set the 5 gal jerry can on the coaming near the diesel fuel fill port. Put open end of the tube in the diesel fill port, the shaker end in the jerry can. Shake the siphon tube to get diesel flowing, then sit back and watch it empty the can into the tank. Depending where I'm getting the diesel from, I also have a smaller version of the second photo. It leaves a little diesel in the filter that I pour through bunched up cheese cloth fitted in the fill port.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

pbyrne

Quote from: Jon W on June 14, 2024, 12:38:28 PMI forgot to mention you should get yourself a shaker type siphon hose to transfer the diesel from  the jerry can to the fuel tank. I bought mine a long time ago, don't remember where I got it. Much easier than dealing with a full jerry can. I set the 5 gal jerry can on the coaming near the diesel fuel fill port. Put open end of the tube in the diesel fill port, the shaker end in the jerry can. Shake the siphon tube to get diesel flowing, then sit back and watch it empty the can into the tank. Depending where I'm getting the diesel from, I also have a smaller version of the second photo. It leaves a little diesel in the filter that I pour through bunched up cheese cloth fitted in the fill port.

Great suggestions!  I have the siphon and that was a bloody miracle to use.  I put the can on the princess seat and use the siphon.  Easy peasy.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI forgot to mention you should get yourself a shaker type siphon hose to transfer the diesel from  the jerry can to the fuel tank.

I use a battery powered one like this.
https://www.northerntool.com/products/sierra-tools-battery-operated-liquid-transfer-pump-1-1-4-to-1-1-2-gpm-3-4in-dia-x-23-1-2-24in-l-hose-model-jb5684-550704
Works good for me.  Have 2, one on the boat one at home.
Did I mention how I hate the new design gas can spouts.  Can't pour fuel without spilling.
Jim 
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

It's called SUPER SIPHON, was at least when I bought mine 10 years ago.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

On Amazon:
Darnassus Siphon Hose Pump, Manual Hand Fuel Transfer Pump for Gasoline Gas Oil Fuel Petrol Diesel Fluid Water, 1/2" Valve Virgin Grade Tubing Safe with Brass Connector (1/2" Blue 6 FT)
 https://a.co/d/hnJ3dME
I bought one in March.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

We never fill the fuel tank from a marina, always use a diesel cannister and the syphon that others have mentioned.

I keep a mesh bag with the Syphon, Clean up cloth, Tank Key, Line ( to secure the can to the rail by the fuel fill ) and a bottle of bio protection fluid.

My process is to move the diesel can to the back combing and secure it to the rail with the line, unlock the fuel fill cap, pour the right amount of bio protection into the diesel can, use the syphon to transfer most of the diesel in the can leaving a small amount behind. When transfer is complete, wrap the syphon hose with the clean up cloth and withdraw the hose from the fill point catching any drips from the hose with the cloth. Close up the fuel fill point, dry off the hose and release the diesel can from the rail. Put everything back in the bag and leave it out to air in order to eliminate any smell from the cloth.

It makes everything much easier having all bits and pieces in one place to get the job done.
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Breakin Away

In case anyone cares, you can turn an ordinary hose into a siphon hose using a rag and a straw. Place the hose and straw into the jerry can, seal it up by holding a rag over the lid, and blow through the straw. Once the diesel fills the hose and the siphon starts (going into the tank, of course), stop blowing.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

pbyrne

Quote from: Breakin Away on June 24, 2024, 07:30:57 PMIn case anyone cares, you can turn an ordinary hose into a siphon hose using a rag and a straw. Place the hose and straw into the jerry can, seal it up by holding a rag over the lid, and blow through the straw. Once the diesel fills the hose and the siphon starts (going into the tank, of course), stop blowing.

Genius!