Where to connect cabin fan in DC Panel

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulfsailor

While in Erie visiting Jim Hardesty aboard Shamrock a couple weeks ago, I noticed his cabin fan and ordered one for the aft cabin.

I've installed it and have run the wire directly to the electrical panel. I want to connect it to the cabin light switch instead of direct to 12 volts because that way I won't kill the battery if I forget to turn off the fan (which is likely to happen since it is back in the corner of the aft cabin by the AC vent behind the head sink)

Can anyone give me input on how to jump it off the cabin light switch on the panel?

Thanks in advance. 
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

KWKloeber

@BR

I don't know what's behind YOUR panel - a picture would help greatly when asking questions about a specific issue.  But generally, the negative wire to the fan will go on the negative DC terminal strip and the positive wire needs to tap into the feed after the switch.  Does the lights' feed go to a terminal strip or are they feed direct from the switch?  If that, then you should install a terminal block and jumper the switch to the block, and from the block to the lights and fan. 

There are other concerns -- is the wire heavy enough for the load and distance?  What amperage does it draw (probably low, these days) -- it may need a fuse in-line with the feed to the fan.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Another option could be to just wire it "inline" to the aft cabin light circuit's existing wiring run closer to the fan, and not have to mess with the main panel. "Tap" the wiring to the lights using a terminal block.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : Long ago I tapped in to the 110V AC that the factory wired in to the V-berth so I could have another AC plug in the starboard FWD portion of the main salon. I mounted a clamp-ON 110V AC osculating fan onto the exposed starboard FWD chainplate rod. In the summer that fan stays plugged in and keeps  the salon cool!!
Rather than screw around trying to wire into the main panel for DC power, I wired (#14 marine wire) into the V-berth, main salon (low on the aft salon seat) and in to the aft cabin. All wires are connected to a cigarette lighter type plug. Each of these wires are fused at a battery terminal connection (inside the battery box).  All female Cig. lighter plugs have a rubber cap.
I have 3 105AH AGM batteries in the OEM battery compartment.

Have had this wiring setup for 30 yrs without a problem!!   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Rick,
I was happy to showoff Shamrock.  For the fans I taped into the cabin lights circut.  After determining that there was no problem with wire size. The local hardware store has neat connectors in several sizes,
https://www.cablewholesale.com/products/power-products/terminals-connectors/product-18110-1.php

Very easy to use and haven't had any issues.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Gulfsailor

Thanks everyone. This particular fan is mounted in the forward port corner of the aft cabin. There is no light there to tap into.

I've already run the wires from that location into the electrical panel. I guess I could use Jim's yell splice connector at the cabin light switch n the panel.
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

KWKloeber

What is the amperage or wattage rating of the fan?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Gulfsailor- for future use, the MKl lighting circuit wires run around the boat behind the teak trim piece under the portlights. In the aft cabin they are at same height side deck level) under the teak trim above the shelf and bunk headboard. Just unscrew the vinyl headliner panel and you will find the wires. My 12v fan is is near ithe same location as yours, (aft cabin bulkhead but mounted to side deck) and ties into the light circuit there. I also have two reading lights above the bunk headboard mounted to the teak fascia/ trim.

Note: the halatron fire extinguisher and fire blanket are fairly recent additions after I got freaked out one night sleeping in that cabin and wondered "what I would do if there was a fire in the galley or saloon and there was no way out of my aft cabin":  idle minds. ;-)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Gulfsailor

Thanks

These are Hella fans just like I had in our last boat.
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Gulfsailor

Removed the teak trim piece and can feel wires inside the small space but a, having a hard time getting them down.

It seems they are held up by some type of screwed-in wire tie? I can't see up in the channel. Anyone know what's holding the wires above the bookshelves on the starboard side on an MKII?
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Gulfsailor on June 21, 2024, 07:43:14 PMRemoved the teak trim piece and can feel wires inside the small space but a, having a hard time getting them down.

It seems they are held up by some type of screwed-in wire tie? I can't see up in the channel. Anyone know what's holding the wires above the bookshelves on the starboard side on an MKII?

Get a mirror and a flashlight.  Both should be basic gear 101.  I've BTDT.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."