Mast head asym spin halyard configuration

Previous topic - Next topic

RaymondP

1986 Catalina 34 tall rig, with roller furling foresail(genoa?)

Boat is finally back in the water after the winter break.  This will be my first sailing season as the owner.  Previously I had been racing, working foredeck and love flying spinnaker. (Yes, must admit to being a spinnaker addict). Now plan to go cruising, NOT racing, with family and friends throughout the Great Lakes, but really want to add an asym. to fly as opportunities arise.

Trying to work out how best to rig/modify the top of the mast to handle the asymmetrical spinnaker halyard. I have added a block to the big bail (D ring) attached to the top/front of the mast.  The mast has two sheaves inside at the same level at the front, presumably for two foresail halyards.  The halyards exit from the sheaves several inches below the top of the mast.  The halyards run down from the sheaves to smaller bails, then run free in a downward direction.  Was planning to continue using the starboard sheave for the roller furling genoa, and utilize the existing port sheave for the spin halyard (abandoning the small bail) but looks like the forestay and other stuff may interfere as the spin halyard exits the mast and travels to the large spin block on the D bail.

Not sure if the mast is the original, or modified by a previous owner(s), but the layout seems different, as least as to how the parts are spaced/scaled relative to the diagram provided in the owners manual.  I am confident the new block on the large bail will clear the roller furling, (it's well above), just struggling where/how the halyard should exit the mast (unobstructed) as it travels to my new block on the large (D) fore-mast bail.

As mentioned, mast is mounted and boat is in the water.   After several hours dangling from the mast top (installing wind transducer too) getting a little exasperated.

Any advice, recommendations and if possible photos would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully my description above is not too confusing.

Thanks all, in advance.

1986 Catalina 34 Mk 1 Tall Rig, M25 21hp engine.
Long time sailor and racer, first time sailboat owner with intent to cruise and explore the Great Lakes.

waughoo

You might have better luck having this in the general forum area vs in the boats for sale section.  I know a lot of guys have come up with a lot of creative setups and they will have good answers for you.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte