Shower issue

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulfsailor

Aboard today I stepped into the head to take a shower. When I turned on the switch then opened the faucet, I got no water and heard the water pump cycle in 1 second intervals.

I go the galley sink, turn on the water...no issue...full flow. It looks like there are two fresh water pumps under the galley sink (one for the the shower and one for the galley sink).

Any ideas on what the problem with the shower is? It worked fine a few weeks ago.

Thank you for your input.
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

pbyrne

The second pump is for the shower/icebox drain if I remember correctly.  It's what runs when you use the power switch in the head.

If the water pressure pump is running every 1 second, it's trying to maintain pressure in the lines.  If you get no water, then I would check the strainer on the end of the faucet if you have one.  Especially if neither hot or cold work.

I had this exact situation on the galley faucet and it turned out the faucet strainer was full of crap.  Where it came from I have no idea, but it was enough to plug the strainer and block all water flow.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

KWKloeber

More info

It it cycling on/off every second, continuously? 
Or what do you mean - mainly off, but ON for only a second? Or mainly ON but off for a second?
Different problems result in different symptoms.

Is the other pump on the potable water manifold or for the drain?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Gulf : Look at the Plumbing Plan in your Owners Manual.
It looks to me like the line splits (a "T") from the an out put of the pressure pump. One line goes to the water heater and the other to the head sink. Another separate output line from the pump goes to the galley sink.  Make sure that you check all of the strainers!!

I'd take that head sink input line apart and check for a clog. 

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

Gulfsailor

Thanks all. I have a new pump sitting on my bench ready to install when I get back to the boat.
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

rmjohns

One thing on the head faucet / shower is there is an on/off push button on the faucet wand (If that's the right term). At the end of the wand is a lever to go from stream to shower, at the base of the wand is little push button that turns it on / off.

So you can get your hot / cold temperature correct, soak up, and then use the push button on the wand to turn off the water supply to soap, etc. 

You may have already been aware of this, but thought I'd mention it just in case, it's pretty hidden down there.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC