conversion to propane

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I still have the original CNG installation
would like to convert to Propane but of course do not have a propane locker and that boat has the simple sugar scoop stern, no walk thru
so where to put it, is my concern. Thanks
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Patches

Hi Cliff:

I also have a Mark 1.25. My boat has the propane locker in the aft seat locker—mounted on the platform on the starboard side.  These can be purchased from Catalina Direct (white with blue top) and take the smaller size propane bottles which can be purchased cheaply at any RV supply place. Mine vents from the locker out through the stern to the swim step.

I've never run out of propane during a standard 3 week cruise.  I carry a spare bottle in the port lazarette just in case.

Patches

Ron Hill

Cliff : The standard transom C34s have the propane bottle in a box that sets on a platform that's on top of the aft water tank. Not sure where the "sugar scoop" transom boats have their propane box??  The box is vented aft thru the transom.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

i can vent the propane out the stern. Does this mean that the stove and oven has to be entirely replaced because of the burners?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : You only need to replace the "orifice fittings" on the burners and the oven!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Hi Cliff

Read this old thread, especially message #1
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=10365.0

Todd knows his stuff!!!  Call Sure Marine and ask about a conversion.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

My propane stove was pretty worn out.  I found a good CNG stove and moved all my orifices and oven temp regulator from the LPG stove to the CNG stove so I had a nice condition propane stove.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

Cliff,

The only reason I see for the conversion is if CNG is no longer available to you. If you've read these threads on converting you can see what a PITA it is not to mention the time, trouble, and expense involved because if you're going to do it right you should replace everything and not cobble together something that's a CNG/propane construct.

Something I learned a long time ago, If it's not broke don't fix it.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Guys : I've had a few of my friend that went south to the Bahamas convert from CNG to Propane and they had NO problems and it was NOT that expensive$$ for three fittings (don't remember the exact cost)!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

csimmerling

I bought a used fancy propane range for my house and swapped out the orifices and regulator for our natural gas, no problems for years and was told it was OK by a pro. It's quite simple compared to most boat projects. If I had a propane locker on my mk1 I'd consider switching. CNG is harder to find and my tank is well past its expiry date
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

KWKloeber

A "modern-vintage" range or gas grill with modern controls or that are compatible to be used with residential natural gas pressures and convertible to LPG is NOT comparable to a CNG device that was manufactured 30 years ago

From Sure Marine, who has done this since forever:
Bottom line:

The necessary parts to convert the oven and make it function are no longer available.

The issue is the oven thermostat control, which will almost certainly not be compatible with propane.

They no longer manufacture the correct, propane compatible thermostat to convert the stove.

Changing the jets will not make the oven run correctly.

Assuming you could locate an LPG compatible thermostat, there is still no way to convert the stove and have it be USCG/ABYC compliant.

Once converted, the stove would not meet ABYC A-26.5.12 which states "All (propane) appliances shall have flame failure devices on all burners, and pilot lights, that will prevent gas from flowing to the burner if flame is not present."

There is no practical way to convert the stove to propane and bring it up to the current safety standards which have been in place since the 1980s.
[/color]

Does Sure Marine not know what it's talking about? Why reinvent the wheel and relitigate the safety of "converting" what cannot be converted and comply with safety standards?

If someone wanted to carry an inflatable liferaft converted from a lake kayak or some other damn thing "because it floats over there," or after secondhand heresay "my buddy did it," or some other life-safety device we'd be yelling, "That's not safe!!" 

Or if someone wanted to wire up an appliance in a way noncompliant with ABYC because "it worked in my garden shed," or "I saw my buddy do it and he's still alive, y'all'd be screaming to the of your cabin tops, "That's not safe!!"

Is explosive gas that much less of a life safety concern aboard a yacht?

A thought (about safe operation of a vessel)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain