Replacing part of a bulkhead

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

The bulkhead in the head was so water damaged I had to cut it out and replace it with new plywood. My plan is to tab it together with strips of fiberglass. Right now I have it fitted really tight and I am worried that maybe it will squeak. I couldn't tell from the old one if it was tight or loose as it was rotten.
Once I get it attached I plan to cover all the areas in the head with FRP board giving it a clean and waterproof panel for the shower areas.sorry about the sideways pics I couldn't figure out how to rotate IMG_4983.jpgIMG_5020.jpgIMG_4985.jpg
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

melp64

This weekend I am tabbing in the replacement piece of 3/4 plywood I fitted.
Dan

waughoo

Nice progress!

Have you made a decision on what to cover the repair with?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

melp64

I am going to cover it with an FRP board. I am thinking of painting all the fiberglass in the Head a white epoxy paint so the FRP board won't be so bright
Dan

scgunner

Dan,

How and where did the water get in? I've got the same boat but while I've had my share of leaks that area has always been a pretty dry part of the boat.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

melp64

The stantion,it leaked down the small bulkhead followed the top and down between the fiberglass and the bathroom bulkhead
Dan