Input on Replacing Dodger Glass

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

I have replaced the vinyl on several dodgers, always used Strataglass 40 until one customer wanted to use a cheaper solution. Didn't work out. After delivering the completed dodger and side windows, they, correctly, complained that the glass was wrinkled - I thought they meant the glass was not laying flat, unusual but could happen. That was not the issue, there were tiny 'wrinkles' in the glass, just slight imperfections, it looked as though they were looking through water.  I could not see it in my shop. They up-paid for Strataglass and I replaced the wrinkly glass. They have been cruising in the Bahamas for over a year now, no complaints.  ( I ate the cost of the replacement work ) Now I only use Strataglass. Just did 8 rollup replacements on a Trawler.
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

While on the subject of replacing dodger windshields, y'all be VERY cautious about what cleaner or "water-shedding" products you use.  Use only approved products and don't experiment.

I HAD to replace my windshield because I unknowingly used some I-don't-remember-which all-purpose spray cleaner that I was spraying on the f'glasss to loosen grime.  I thought, well what the hell -- two "plastics", why not spray it on and hose it off?  It drew out the plasticizers from the vinyl and shortly thereafter the windshield turned to a brittle mess -- that broke into pieces like a ceramic plate hitting the kitchen floor.  It didn't hurt too much to replace it because it was long overdue anyway and I got the "brother rate" (materials only)  :D  I'm just thankful that the side windows were (luckily) not zipped in at the time.

Duh!!  Lesson learned. 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Strataglass comes with brand name stickers and an instruction sheet. I buy the glass in packs of 5 sheets, so that's five stickers and five instruction sheets - every customer gets one. The instructions are really clear. Use water and Imar products.
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Patches

Thanks to everyone for their input.  For my purposes—somewhat unique dodger design and uncertain long term ownership—I went with the "Crystal Clear" vinyl made by Strataglas.  My online research found good results/reviews with this product, and mixed reviews/results as to whether the Strataglass "coated" vinyl was worth the premium (2X).

I did, however, follow Noah's advice and am having a sunbrella cover made to snap over the vinyl when the boat is not sailing.  Together the cost was about $750.

Patches

scgunner

KWKloeber,

I've learned a lot over the years (around 50) about plastic window maintenance not just with boats but also with convertible British sportscars, their tops are basically small dodgers facing backwards. In that time I've probably tried most types of cleaners and polishes, the two step, the poly this and poly that some good, some not so much. What it comes down to maintenance wise you have two types of windows that are maintained differently "inside and outside". Outside requires nothing more than a fresh water rinse followed with a nice fluffy terrycloth wipe which will keep it smooth and clear. Inside is different because that's the opaque or yellowing originates. The first sign is the inside feels slightly tacky then it becomes sticky next opaque spots usually in the corners. At the window is shot it's just a matter of time until it's yellow. Obviously you want to shortstop this process. As soon as it feels slightly tacky it needs to be polished. What I've found most effective is Mother's Metal Polish, it goes on and comes off easy and keeps the surface smooth and clear.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

karista

Quote from: Patches on April 27, 2024, 04:09:11 AMThanks to everyone for their input.  For my purposes—somewhat unique dodger design and uncertain long term ownership—I went with the "Crystal Clear" vinyl made by Strataglas.  My online research found good results/reviews with this product, and mixed reviews/results as to whether the Strataglass "coated" vinyl was worth the premium (2X).

I did, however, follow Noah's advice and am having a sunbrella cover made to snap over the vinyl when the boat is not sailing.  Together the cost was about $750.

Patches
I just had a new replacement dodger made and the shop strongly recommended using the Crystal Clear 40 GA Vinyl. Its made by Srataglass and significantly lower in price. They also made snap on outside sun covers. It is truly a great product, I was impressed with it clarity.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Ron Hill

Guys : My front window can be zipped out, but found it too time consuming to reinstall in a rainstorm. I can roll it up, but found it much better to leave it zipped in and pull it back UNDER the dodger!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788