How to bleed fuel system

Previous topic - Next topic

johnkountz

I have read several references to a procedure but I have not met with success locating said procedure.

Can someone point me in the right direction. I changed both filters today so I will need to bleed the fuel system.

Thanks

'89 #936 - Tranquility

Jeff "salty dog" #1102 19

John,
Don't know reference, but here's what I do. Works well. There is a vent on the Raycor. It is a nylon screw on the top side where the inlet hose connects. Open until fuel issues out. Close vent. Turn on ignition key to energize electric fuel pump. You'll here rapid clicking initially until pump compresses air. Then open bypass valve (its a knurled knob on engine fuel injection pump) for a minute or so to allow electric pump to vent air back to fuel tank. Close bypass valve, start engine.
Jeff

Stu Jackson

John,

One reference is:

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/universal/200157/universal-owners-manual-bleeding-fuel-system.html

This is agreat resource for Universal engine owners and should be bookmarked.

Also see:

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/universal/200157/universal-owners-manual-bleeding-fuel-system.html

which has a picture of the engine and the bleed points.

It is NOT hard.

My experience is that you do NOT need to open the Racor filter vent cap.  The electric fuel pump will do ALL the work.

Change the filters.  Reopen the fuel valve to the tank.  Turn on the ignition switch to run the fuel pump.  Open the hex nut on the top of the engine fule pump a bit until fuel comes out (have absorbent material underrneath).  Close the nut.  Open the thumb nut on the injector line for a few seconds.  Close it.

Start the engine.

A find on fuel bleed also turns up:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=srch&s=329609511&findw=fuel+bleed

I'm sure there are pretty much the same issues dicussed in those posts.

Stu

PS  the references are to the M25.  There's also M25XP information on the Universal website.  Some slight differences in bleeding procedures.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

My experience is you only have to open the knurled knob on the engine.  Then, with the electric pump on, you will bleed the entire fuel system.  Also, Jeff, if you're opening the nylon nut on the Racor to bleed it, then your fuel system is probably plumbed wrong.  Opening that nut will only work if your pump is "pushing" fuel into the filter, which means the pump is upsteam of the filter.  You want the pump downstream of the filter (so it "pulls" fuel through the filter)  so that the pump is protected from fuel contaminants by the Racor.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Ted

You're right about the place of the filter, before the pump.

But it doesn't make any difference in terms of bleeding the system.

The pump can either push or pull the fuel through.

The correct arrangement is simple, as stated before:

fuel tank

Racor (or other) filter

fuel pump

engine

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."