Catalina 34 tall rig mast height

Previous topic - Next topic

tomsoyer

I am looking into new sails and I wanted to make sure my vessel is truly a tall rig as I thought it was. I measured the mast from its base on deck to the spin halyard sheave . I got 44'. The 'I' dimension for the standard rig is 44' and tall rig is 46'. What I am not clear on is the mast height measured from the base or from the boats shear line which would be about 2' lower then the base of the mast.

Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI am looking into new sails

The sailmaker should need the P and E (luft and foot) measurements to quote a sail.  If it's a local loft they should measure the actual dimensions of the boat.  If not I'd recommend you take the measurements and not depend on factory or what somebody else's boat uses.  Never can tell what has happened over the years.  It's easy to do, all you need is a 50 foot tape measure.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

tomsoyer

Quote from: tomsoyer on April 14, 2024, 09:32:41 PMI am looking into new sails and I wanted to make sure my vessel is truly a tall rig as I thought it was. I measured the mast from its base on deck to the spin halyard sheave . I got 44'. The 'I' dimension for the standard rig is 44' and tall rig is 46'. What I am not clear on is the mast height measured from the base or from the boats shear line which would be about 2' lower then the base of the mast.
Quote from: Dave Spencer on April 15, 2024, 04:09:26 AMThe "I" dimension is to the deck.
https://www.uksailmakers.com/encyclopedia/rig-dimensions/

Thanks. That that definition of 'I' is what I was looking for.

Ron Hill

Guys : On the inside of the mainsail track on the mast below deck you'll find a tape writer strip with the hull # and the indication if it is a tall rig or regular mast!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ewengstrom

After 30 years (+,-) this strip is probably missing on most boats. (just my guess)
We pulled the mast this year for what I'm sure was the first time it's been out of the boat and during some measuring I found that we actually have a tall rig, not the standard rig I was told it was.
We stripped the mast for painting and the only tag I found on it was a paper tag on the inside at the bottom that was so far gone it was in tatters and unreadable.
A tape measure is the only sure way to accurately find out what is standing there, even the PO was wrong in his assumption and information he provided, and he owned the boat for 15 years.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

eric : Your tape IDing your mast just may have been removed?? for some reason?? It makes since that masts in the factory are marked to denote regular and tall rig, because that's how they are sold!! I'm trying to remember, but I also believe that the Hull# was also on that tape!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

tomsoyer

Thanks Ron. I will check on the inside of the main sail track. There is defiantly not anything on the outside of the mast. My mast is deck stepped with a compression post(2001 mkII).

Jim Hardesty

QuoteMy mast is deck stepped with a compression post(2001 mkII).

So is Shamrock.  Don't remember exactly where, but I do remember seeing somewhere on Shamrock's mast information is etched into the aluminum, at least the hull number, I think more.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA