Stack Pack upper turning blocks

Previous topic - Next topic

ewengstrom

Simple question for those with Sail Packs (Stack Packs) on their C34's.
These systems require a set of halyards that are intended to be loosened or tightened.
The optimal attachment point for the turning blocks is located above the spreaders to provide the proper angle to help hold up the sail pack correctly. These halyards are tied off at the mast base with enough extra line to loosen or tighten the sail pack as needed.
The problem with this is that our C34's have nice wide spreaders, so if you mount the turning blocks in their correct spot above the spreaders, the halyards will chafe at the spreaders. Most folks seem to just locate these turning blocks below the spreaders and live with the harsh angle this causes.
Currently my mast is down and I've closed up the old mount holes in anticipation of mounting the blocks correctly, but I really haven't come up with any grand ideas to do this.
Has anyone come up with or encountered a solution to mount the turning blocks above the spreaders and somehow avoid the chafe?
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

The lazy jack lines are rarely loaded with much tension and thus despite rubbing the spreaders, they don't end up with much chafe.  I agree that it is less than ideal, but I have found the routing to be less of a concern.

Now if someone could figure out an internally routed set of lazy jacks to stop the mast slap in a breeze, I'm all ears!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

Well....being completely honest, I'm also protecting the brand new paint on the mast/spreaders from wear. I spent a good bit of time and money painting that tall stick and I'm not going to intentionally rub the paint off if I can avoid it.
I spoke to a friend who has a Pacific Seacraft 34 (they have wide spreaders too) and we noodled up an idea that I think might work.
Attach a pad eye to the mast above the spreaders. (both sides, exact height TBD) Then attach a 2 to 3 foot pigtail with a micro block on the end. The halyard would then be pulled toward the stern and provide the clearance I want between the halyard and spreaders. Actually, doing this should also eliminate the halyard slap you mentioned Alex.
Make sense?
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Steve McGill

Eric.  Check out the Mack Pack at Mack sails. We had no issues with the lazy jack lines rubbing or touching the mast or spreaders during sailing or at rest in our slip. Good luck.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

waughoo

Eric...

It does make sense.  I have seem some lazy jacks (though not usually with stack packs) where they do as you say only at a much lower spot for the micro block and then the lines go to the boom and adjust on the boom instead of the mast.  Perhaps your suggestion could work with the stack pack. Hmm....
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

Steve,
I'd discussed securing the halyard to the boom but I was concerned with chafe on the outside of the pack from the halyard line.
But honestly, that looks like it could also work too and would be a bit simpler. Since the halyard would be constantly under tension it's tendency to move about should be about nil.
Decisions, decisions...... :?
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15