Antenna Whip

Previous topic - Next topic

fairwinds

I just found my mast head antenna whip lying on the deck this past weekend. Probably 'Isabels' work. To save a trip up the mast, does anyone know who makes them or where a replacement can be found. La Barca is a 2000.
Thanks
Jeff

Jentine

Does it appear to be broken off or unscrewed?  If it is broken, you will need to replace the antenna.  Shakespear antennae can be found at any chandlery and all the discount houses.  
Replacement is simple.  Unscrew the cable from the base of the antenna coil, remove the screws that hold the base to the mast, and install the new unit in reverse order.  Be sure to insulate the s.s. screws from the aluminum mast to prevent corrosion.
Jim Kane

DaveChu

I just up at the top of my mast tightening mine last weekend.  My METZ unit (2001 vintage) uses a compression type nut to attach the whip to the base.  Mine was loose to the point where the whip just came out when I cleaned it.

If you don't see any connector on the part that fell down, and if the end looks square (not broken by stress), it may just need to go back into the compression nut.  It was a 3/8 inch wrench on mine.

Replacements are available for both manufacturers (aka West Marine Catalog) and it's cheaper than a whole new unit, considering the age of your boat.

Dave Chu
MeHa