What are your boating plans this season?

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

Shipping from UK to Caribbean this November and then cruise the islands for a few years. 😄
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Jim Hardesty

Quotethat's an amazing trip!  Is 2 months the longest you've been on Shamrock?  How many in your crew?  I've heard many good things about the beautiful north channel.  I would need a solid amount of time off to sail there from the toronto area

I've spent a little over 2 months on Shamrock, enjoyed every day.  I mostly single hand and like my sleep, so it takes me longer to get places.  The North Channel is great for me, gorgeous scenery, lots of anchorages, very clear and clean water.  Looks much like the coast of Maine without tides, lobster pots and much less tourist. Downside for some is its basically remote, bars and restaurants are few and far between, make your own drinks and meals. You should look into the Trent Severn, one season in the North Channel I met a couple on a C32 they took the Trent Severn and enjoyed it.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Andy,

The tank developed a vertical fracture top to bottom on the end facing the head. I don't know the cause and of course it was the smell that gave it away. It was dribbling into the compartment and working it's way into the bilge. The swap was not as difficult as you might think the biggest thing was breaking out the plywood support and glassing in a new one. While not a particularly difficult project it's one I wouldn't wish on anyone.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

AndyBC

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on February 24, 2024, 05:33:01 AMI've spent a little over 2 months on Shamrock, enjoyed every day.  I mostly single hand and like my sleep, so it takes me longer to get places.  The North Channel is great for me, gorgeous scenery, lots of anchorages, very clear and clean water.  Looks much like the coast of Maine without tides, lobster pots and much less tourist. Downside for some is its basically remote, bars and restaurants are few and far between, make your own drinks and meals. You should look into the Trent Severn, one season in the North Channel I met a couple on a C32 they took the Trent Severn and enjoyed it.
Jim

Excellent!  It sounds a little like the pacific northwest, where I sailed for a few years.  The most I've been away so far is just 1 week (with a crew of 5 others), so nowhere near as big or serene a trip as your 2-month solo.  I will research the Trent Severn, and add it to the list, thanks for sharing!
1998 C34 MKII #1394 - M35BC, WK

AndyBC

Quote from: KeelsonGraham on February 23, 2024, 10:37:03 PMShipping from UK to Caribbean this November and then cruise the islands for a few years. 😄

Wow this sounds like an amazing adventure!  You must have been planning and preparing this for a long time.  Will you be documenting the trip via a youtube channel?  I definitely would follow along, and no doubt many others too

KeelsonGraham

QuoteWow this sounds like an amazing adventure!  You must have been planning and preparing this for a long time.  Will you be documenting the trip via a youtube channel?  I definitely would follow along, and no doubt many others too

The original plan, about 2 years ago, was to sail across, but we canned that idea after doing some offshore sailing. The latest plan is pretty new but we're retiring and its time get on with it.

I don't think the world needs another sailing Vlog!
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Holger Dieske

Last year I sailed from northern Italy via Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania to Greece. I was on the way for about 10 months. In January and February I was back in Germany and the boat was in the south of the Peleppones safe in a port with international community of cruisers in wintering. In 2 weeks we're going back to the boat. I still have a few things to do on it and will eventually take it off. Actually, our plan is to have no plan. One idea was to go via Israel and Egypt through the Suez Canal and further east towards Asia. But maybe it's at the moment not the best idea to sail along Oman and Yemen. So I think we'll hang around and cruise in the Eastern Mediterranean for another year or two between North Africa, Greece, Turkey and Italy. We will see ...
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

dfloeter

We did  the Trent Severn in 2019 and thoroughly enjoyed the tour of Ontario.  Compared to the NY canals that we traversed next, well there was no comparison.  The Canadians might be pressure washing the lock walls while in NY the growth is thick and toxic.   My terry cloth covers rotted off.  The TS was also mostly manned by eager college kids who did a fab job.  We hope to head east and south again and may go this year but still undecided. 
If we stay north 6-7 weeks in the North channel is a good substitute,
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

waughoo

Though perhaps not as glamorous as shipping my boat to a far away spot, I am excited to take Belafonte to the Canadian Gulf Islands for the first time this summer.  We are from Seattle and have been there before when chartering a C34, but never on our own boat.  Additionally, we are hoping to string two weeks together this summer which has historically been tricky.  Finger's crossed it works!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Alex—Excellent! l'd love to cruise that area. Been there before, but it wasn't on my boat. Saltspring, Pender, Galleano...all beautiful islands! Perhaps Stu wants to do a boat swap with me in San Diego?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

AndyBC

Quote from: Holger Dieske on March 01, 2024, 06:16:53 AMLast year I sailed from northern Italy via Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania to Greece. I was on the way for about 10 months. In January and February I was back in Germany and the boat was in the south of the Peleppones safe in a port with international community of cruisers in wintering. In 2 weeks we're going back to the boat. I still have a few things to do on it and will eventually take it off. Actually, our plan is to have no plan. One idea was to go via Israel and Egypt through the Suez Canal and further east towards Asia. But maybe it's at the moment not the best idea to sail along Oman and Yemen. So I think we'll hang around and cruise in the Eastern Mediterranean for another year or two between North Africa, Greece, Turkey and Italy. We will see ...

Those 10 months last year must have been amazing!  Sounds like you have some great ideas this season.  Wish I could sail my C34 to such exotic locations as you!  I would have to fly over there and charter a sailboat to experience all that.

AndyBC

Quote from: dfloeter on March 01, 2024, 02:36:25 PMWe did  the Trent Severn in 2019 and thoroughly enjoyed the tour of Ontario.  Compared to the NY canals that we traversed next, well there was no comparison.  The Canadians might be pressure washing the lock walls while in NY the growth is thick and toxic.   My terry cloth covers rotted off.  The TS was also mostly manned by eager college kids who did a fab job.  We hope to head east and south again and may go this year but still undecided. 

6-7 weeks in the north channel sounds like a fantastic backup plan!  I now have the trent severn on my to-sail list, will have to do more research to prep.  Have you sailed the thousand islands area?

AndyBC

Quote from: waughoo on March 01, 2024, 03:47:40 PMThough perhaps not as glamorous as shipping my boat to a far away spot, I am excited to take Belafonte to the Canadian Gulf Islands for the first time this summer.  We are from Seattle and have been there before when chartering a C34, but never on our own boat.  Additionally, we are hoping to string two weeks together this summer which has historically been tricky.  Finger's crossed it works!

2 weeks in the gulf islands will be a fantastic time!  I love salt spring island and galiano (montague harbour).  Heard Pender is nice too, but have never personally visited.

waughoo

Noah and AndyBC,

Thanks! I am pretty excited.  When I went the last time so many years ago, our two favorite spots were Poet's Cove and Wallace Island.  Wallace made a specific impression on me as it was the first place I got to stern tie since doing it with my folks on their sailboat when I was 6 years old in Barkley Sound on the outside of Vancouver Island.  It was a memory that got stuck so hard that I ended up being a life long boater!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

dfloeter

Quote from: AndyBC on March 02, 2024, 10:08:03 AM
Quote from: dfloeter on March 01, 2024, 02:36:25 PMWe did  the Trent Severn in 2019 and thoroughly enjoyed the tour of Ontario.  Compared to the NY canals that we traversed next, well there was no comparison.  The Canadians might be pressure washing the lock walls while in NY the growth is thick and toxic.   My terry cloth covers rotted off.  The TS was also mostly manned by eager college kids who did a fab job.  We hope to head east and south again and may go this year but still undecided. 

6-7 weeks in the north channel sounds like a fantastic backup plan!  I now have the trent severn on my to-sail list, will have to do more research to prep.  Have you sailed the thousand islands area?

Sadly our only experience on Lake Ontario was a quiet, mast horizontal, 40 mile trip over to Oswego, NY.  Canadian friends rave about the islands but it's unlikely we will get there.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20