stainless shaft

Previous topic - Next topic

woodysca

I'm planning to replace the shaft on my 1986 C34 at next haul-out/bottom paint. Is there a preferred vendor (e.g. Catalina Direct)? Is there a universal size or do I need measurements before ordering?

TIA,
Woody
San Diego

ewengstrom

I just replaced our original bronze shaft with a stainless one from General Propeller out of Florida. I'd recommend removing the old shaft and getting exact measurements. I'd added a flexible coupling which pushed the shaft back a full 1" so I simply shortened the original shaft by that and it fits nicely.
The new shaft arrived quickly and included both keys and new bronze prop nuts.
I'm quite happy with this experience.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Noah

Eric— did you get the new coupler faced and shaft lap fit to match your prop at a machine shop locally or do it yourself?
If still need to do it here is a "how to"
https://marinehowto.com/lap-fitting-a-propeller/
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Woody : It is best to remove your old shaft and measure it. With that said you need to decide if you will add a flexible coupling and if so what added length that it may add - that you have to subtract from the shaft length.

The length of the shaft is important so the shaft maker cuts an adequate key way.

BTW, Most flexible couplings do NOT use the shaft key way!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

If you order a new SS shaft. Spec "Aquamet 22" alloy (same as Aqualoy 22) which according to experts offers the best strength and corrosion resistance.
Some How to info:
https://marinehowto.com/a-new-prop-shaft/
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

ewengstrom

Noah,
I'm lapping the prop and shaft, these items are on my to do list and must be complete before I reinstall the rudder.
The new cutlass bearing is already in place. I've read thru Rods info and it's outstanding!!!
Honestly I should have faced the coupling but I am working with a flexible coupling so I may let that ride.
I haven't checked the run out yet but looking at it visually it appeared to be quite true.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

ewengstrom

Quote from: Noah on February 21, 2024, 11:49:54 AMEric— did you get the new coupler faced and shaft lap fit to match your prop at a machine shop locally or do it yourself?

Noah, ever since your reply with that question regarding getting the coupling faced, it's just been eating at me, so I popped that shaft and coupling back out of the boat and ran it by my local (and favorite) machinist and we promptly checked it together....the coupling was out less than 1/1000 of an inch as provided by General Propeller.
If I was impressed with these folks before, I'm even more impressed now.  :thumb: 
Getting that done sure does help my piece of mind too!!! Now to lap that prop.  :D
Thanks for the tickler!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15