Engine Mounts

Previous topic - Next topic

justinsteele

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 1987 C-34 yesterday which is a nice upgrade from our '85 C-25 I have had for 6 years. Survey recommended new motor mounts amongst many other things. I have been reading everything I can and  see mixed reviews on the Vetus mounts but K75's seem favorable. A little negativity on the DF-2205-2 which looks like a knockoff of the Westerbeke part at 1/4 of the price. I emailed a rep from Venus about their take on the K50 vs K75 and he recommended the KSTEUN40A which is designed "for the modern 3cyl". It's double the price of the others so just wondering if anyone has tried these, I don't see any previous discussion about them.
Justin Steele
Salem, Ma
1987 Catalina 34 WK
Hull #401
Universal M25XP

ewengstrom

We have Vetus K-75's all the way around on our M25XP and I'm quite happy with their performance over their three plus years of service.
After looking up the K-40 the rep recommended, I don't see any specs that mention an elongated hole in one of the mount holes. It might be helpful to have a little wiggle room if you need it.
If you do end up going with this mount, please report your experience back to the forum, it would be appreciated I'm sure.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Jim Hardesty

QuoteSurvey recommended new motor mounts amongst many other things

Welcome and Congratulations.  Hope you enjoy your C34 as much as I do and find this group as helpful as I do.  The better surveys I've seen rate their recommendations in order of do immediately to nice things to do.  Was yours rated that way?  Were you present at the survey?  If they are original motor mounts I don't doubt that it's time to take a good look. If the PO, that's previous owner in C34 speak, was careful changing oil the original may be ok. What I'm saying without seeing of feeling the mounts is that they may be usable and the surveyor just put them on the list. In my opinion there are lots of good surveyors and some that are just good enough.
The reason for my long post is that you probably have lots to do on your new to you boat, probably too much.  Can be overwhelming.  Make a list, starting with the "do this or else" post and your survey.  Safety and must do first, then sail and sail some more.
It helps if you put in your signature the boat information year, model, hull number engine, see what others have.
Welcome,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Justin,

Good advice from Jim, start a priority list and it will grow fast. Unless there's an actual problem I doubt the motor mounts will be very high on the list. I think it's more of a "well it's about time" kind of thing. I've got an '87 also that was recently out of the water for new bottom paint a prop shaft and some other things. Since my motor mounts are also originals I got the well it's about times so I asked the yard guys (that I trust) about their replacement. After they pull the boat they do a complete inspection and make recommendations. The head guy said they would replace them if that's what I wanted but didn't consider it necessary. He said the rubber was not crushed down or turned to jelly and was still soft and subtle with no cracking, in other words he said "they're still doing their job". As long as your M/Ms are like mine with the season approaching I'd sail the season and do an accessment at the end of the season.

BTW,a nice upgrade would be moving up from a C25 to a C30 moving up to a C34 is like moving up from a destroyer to an aircraft carrier! Enjoy.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

justinsteele

Quote from: ewengstrom on February 20, 2024, 04:05:02 AMI don't see any specs that mention an elongated hole in one of the mount holes.

Do the 75's have an elongated hole? I feel like I read that this was a problem for some people but can be modified.
Justin Steele
Salem, Ma
1987 Catalina 34 WK
Hull #401
Universal M25XP

justinsteele

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on February 20, 2024, 04:08:38 AMWas yours rated that way?  Were you present at the survey?

Yes and Yes. Cutlass bearing and a broken thru-hull were a must replace before launch and mounts were a high priority because they are completely rusted and deteriorating. One of them has a nut that worked its way almost off years ago and rusted in place. I need to clean up the oil pan, replace cutlass bearing, rebuild water pump etc so it's all going to happen as part of the initial engine overhaul that will hopefully carry me through for many trouble free years to come.
Justin Steele
Salem, Ma
1987 Catalina 34 WK
Hull #401
Universal M25XP