Lewmar Trapezoidal foredeck hatch DIY rebuild troubles.

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Has anyone (successfully) replaced the lens and gasket on their Lewmar rollstop model trapezoidal foredeck hatch. My hatch was not leaking but the lens was terribly crazed. I opted to buy the "parts" and do it myself . Firstly, because I didn't want to wait the 6-week lead time quoted to me by Select Plastics/Hatch Masters AND I thought "what the heck, it can't be that hard for a savvy boat worker guy like me." WRONG!  I am oly doing the hatch lid. I can't seen to get the gasket to conform all the way flush into the corner radius on the hatch lid. Anyone have any tips/tricks for dealing with this particular hatch model? So far I have been really fighting it having installed it once, with visual gaps in gasket corners—after seated and bedded with Dow 795. It passed the SoCa historic 4.5 inch in 3-days rain test last week, not leaking. But it was covered with a Sunbrella hatch cover. Once I removed cover a did the aggressive hose test, it leaked. So I removed it and started over. Now on round two. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Noah

See photos below:
Gaps once installed the first time. There are two "channels/tabs" on rubber gasket and two in the aluminum hatch extrusion. I can only seat the rubber into one of the channels. Too stiff to feed into outside channel without it popping out of the other one. The hatch frame is one piece.
Standard Rig

Ed Shankle

Maybe it will stretch a bit with some heating with a hair dryer?
Good luck,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Guys : When I found out the lead time for hatch repair from Select Plastics - here's what I did:

When I put up the boat for the winter in October I took off the opening hatch and sealed the Vberth opening and then covered the boat. Then I sent off the hatch to Select Plastics. It was a month or two? and I got the hatch back with a new lens and gasket well before splash time in April.

They did a fantastic job and I remounted the new-like hatch in early April after uncovering the boat!!   :clap

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Good solution for those that aren't lucky enough to be able to sail year-round. I have talked to the folks a Select Plastics/Hatch Masters and they have been very helpful and empathetic. They said "they too struggle with every one of these old-style Lewmar gasket installs". They said it was a real PIA task and wished me luck. They suggested heating the gasket with a hairdryer and use friction clamps so it does pop out one section when you are working on another. Also use super glue to hold sections as you go. NOT FUN!
Standard Rig

TortolaTim

That was on my list of things to do.  Uhhh, maybe not! I have the same "problem" here in FL. Boat is in the water all year, so no sending it in for repair
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

Ron Hill

Tim : "Bite the Bullet" and Take off the hatch and send it off in the winter (shorter repair time) and just cover the frame until you get the hatch back!

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Gulfsailor

You can do it.

I replaced the plastic and the gasket on my Lewmar Ocean on our Ericson.  Crazy thing is, I'm about to do it again on our C34 because it very crazed.

Try using a little soapy water in a spray bottle. It will help it seat. Also, use clamps or a pair of vice grips (carefully) to hold it as you go, like putting a tire on a motorcycle. 
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Ron Hill

Guys : After I change out that Vberth crazed lens I made a sunbrella cover to keep the hot sun off of the new lens. There was an additional benefit - that cover protects the Vberth occupants from becoming "Moon Burnt" !!!   :D

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Gulfsailor

We had covers on our Ericson hatches to protect the lexan and keep it cool below when running the AC
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Joesboat

Fwiw, I called Hatchmasters to confirm they would refurbish my trapezoid hatch. Removed it from the boat in May 2023, I built a temporary cover, packed up and shipped my hatch across the country to Hatchmasters. I insured the shipment, it cost about $80.
Hatchmasters called me to say they would not repair it, too old, never was seaworthy, can't get any parts, no seals available, no handles available, lense was never thick enough and he couldn't make any lense work in this hatch. The dude was pretty animated about how he would not work on this hatch because he couldn't guarantee the work and it would cost me hundreds of dollars to even do the refurb. At one point he agreed to work on it as I was fine with the price and no warranty/guarantee, but then changed his story.
Such a strange response from this business, I had to pay shipping to get my hatch back without being repaired.
Im not trying to bash the business, obviously they've been doing this a long time, but this sucked. It was the owner that called me with the bizarre explanation for why they would not work on this hatch, over the phone it can be hard to know, but he seemed out of sorts.

Edit: our hatch is a Bomar, hopefully the Lewmar's are still serviceable .
1987 Catalina 34'
Universal m-25xp

Jon W

FWIW - On my 1987 MK1, I replaced the gasket on the Bomar trapezoid fwd hatch and the Bomar square saloon overhead hatch. Bought the gasket material at Catalina Direct. On the fwd hatch I replaced the handles, plus replaced the  mushroom caps, and o-rings on both fwd and saloon hatches. A thicker lens is available at Catalina Direct or I can get at a local plastics shop. What parts couldn't he get?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Joesboat

Jon W. Thanks for the info as I will try to diy the hatch. Our original thin lens is cracked and a thicker one will be great.

No idea why the response from Tony, it was a truly strange experience.
1987 Catalina 34'
Universal m-25xp

Noah

The standard Lewmar trapezoidal hatch lens is 1/2 inch thick. 
Standard Rig

Jon W

To keep myself out of trouble, I said "handles" but correct terminology is "Hatch Dogs". The hatch dogs come with the mushroom caps, but if you just want the mushroom caps I bought those a few years ago from Go2Marine. The Bomar part number I have for them is P2000-27, or BOMP200027 so you can search for the best price. I recommend that you talk to a Tech Support at Catalina Direct before ordering the gasket from them to make sure you get the right gasket profile. They have two versions for Bomar and only one of them fits our hatches. Good luck.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca