CNG/Propane/Induction stoves and ovens

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

My original plan was to revamp my CNG stove to a propane stove. The stove is really in good shape I don't think the PO ever used it. But after doing a lot of research switching out the orifices and installing new thermocouples on the all the burners to bring it up to nautical safety rules plus build a vented propane locker, I am weighing out different options. I could buy a induction stove top for 148.00 and and airfryer/oven for 189.00. I have always planned on installing solar panels and a inverter, my question is how many battery's will this take to run this. 
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Ron Hill

Dan : I can't answer your Amp Hour question (but I believe it's a "bunch"), but I believe that you'd be better off changing the orifices and going with propane.  I don't understand the thermocouples for the burners??  Check with your local Propane Gas Company.  Good luck

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI can't answer your Amp Hour question (but I believe it's a "bunch"), but I believe that you'd be better off changing the orifices and going with propane.

I'm with Ron.  It's my experience with my inverter anything that makes heat eats a lot of electricity.  That's why I carry 2 coffee makers, an electric eating Keurig and a propane sipping Mellita pour over. 
Don't forget switching to propane you need a dedicated propane locker and safety solenoid.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Dan,

Like you I'm still using my original CNG stove, it's safe and reliable and puts zero load on your batteries. When something works don't fix it.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Stu Jackson

Quote from: melp64 on November 26, 2023, 09:02:18 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>
I could buy a induction stove top for 148.00 and and airfryer/oven for 189.00. I have always planned on installing solar panels and a inverter, my question is how many battery's will this take to run this.

The answer to that question is how many cups of coffee do you "need" :D in any given day?  Seriously, the size of the electrical storage capacity will have to exceed your energy budget for any given period.  If you buy a separate inverter (as compared to a combined I/C) you will have to remember to shut the charger off when using the inverter or get a special switch.

Quote from: scgunner on November 27, 2023, 06:22:06 AM
Dan,

Like you I'm still using my original CNG stove, it's safe and reliable and puts zero load on your batteries. When something works don't fix it.

One of the reasons we keep asking folks to add where they are from to their signatures is that answers are sometimes location-specific.

I have CNG, too.  When I was in San Francisco it was easy for me to get CNG at a next door to me marina.  Then before I left in 2016 it got pricier because they started re-certifying the canisters.  When I arrived here in BC, none was or is available.

I recently learned that some is in the Seattle Area.

AFAIK, it is increasingly hard to find CNG in the USA but not totally impossible...yet.

In 2016 we bought a butane single burner camp stove, for $24USD.  I'm still using it on top of our pristine CNG stove, disconnected the hose from the remaining, still full canister in the aft cabin.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : A word of CAUTION on the butane canisters!!!  Make sure that you store them OUTSIDE.  I say that because every so often they will NOT completely shut off!!

I took a piece of PVC pipe and hung it from the pushpit rail.  I could get 4 canister in it!!   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

melp64

Quote from: scgunner on November 27, 2023, 06:22:06 AM
Dan,

If your still using the CNG stove where are you getting tanks filled. When I bought the boat I assumed that it was a propane stove. I have never heard of CNG, not to mention that the tank was missing and I cant even find a tank if I tried to maintain the stove as a CNG
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Noah

I don't know where to get a tank or what size your storage compartment is, as I have propane. However, there are CNG "gas stations" here in San Diego and many of the city buses run on it.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Dan,

CNG is compressed natural gas it's the same stuff used to heat homes and fuel gas stoves. The advantage of CNG is it's safety factor, it's lighter than air and will exit the boat vertically if there's a leak while propane is heavier than air and can collect in the bilge. I get CNG from the fuel station in my marina and it's done on a tank exchange basis. The tank is located under the seat in the aft cabin originally there should be a gray gas line with a valve, gauge, and screw on fitting on the end of it. Also with CNG fittings the threads are reversed, left tight, right loose. If you plan to use CNG but have no tank you'll have to buy one to start the exchange process.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

TortolaTim

I still have the CNG setup as well. When I bought the boat in Michigan, there was a hardware store in Grosse Pointe where you could exchange tanks. Now, in Jacksonville, FL I'm out of luck. I've asked around and checked everywhere and the only option is to buy the adaptor on eBay and fill it myself at a gas station. I'll probably just bite the bullet and do the propane conversion, as from what I've heard CNG really hurts resale value.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

Noah

If you can fill tank now at gas station, why not worry about resale value when you go to sell?  If buyer baulks then give him a credit or make change then?
Standard Rig

TortolaTim

I don't know, I've read a bunch online from people questioning the safety aspect of the fill valves. I guess it sketches me out a little  :wink:
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

Noah

As I have propane, I don't know anything about possible safety issues in filling your CNG.
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Tim : You can always check your connection with some soapy water. If bubbles appear then you have a bad connection!! 

With CNG - a bad connection only means that you'll loose gas which is NOT a safety hazard!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Tim,

You read online people questioning the safety of fill valves? I think I'd take that with a grain of salt. All valves, cylinders, lines and attendant equipment are federally regulated, as an example all high pressure cylinders have to be hydrostatically tested every five years, if you check your cylinder you'll find a current date stamp. The original reason for installing a CNG system on boats was for the safety factor.

Also I can't imagine a CNG system having any effect on the resale value of a boat. When I'm shopping for a boat I'm looking for big ticket items; new sails, updated electronics, dinghy and motor, among others. If I found a boat that checked all the boxes the last thing I'd be concerned about is a CNG system which if I didn't want it could be switched out DIY for a few hundred dollars.