Fridge Compressor Removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbo

Advice needed for Ailsa 1362 34mk2 in Bonnie Scotland!
The compressor is heavily corroded and needs changing, removal of the unit is straight forward.It is out!
Removal of the pipe work and wiring to the fridge compartment looks like another adventure! Advice on access please?

scgunner

Gilbo,

I assume your compressor was mounted in the aft locker, yes? If so then you probably extracted the compressor through that locker which would leave no access to the copper refrigerant lines. I replaced my whole reefer unit a while back and found the best way for me was to remove everything in the aft cabin including; cushions, deck plates, aft cabin bulkhead, and water tank. This provides good access to the entire unit. I have a MK1 which is different but similar to the MK2 and I think the same procedure would still apply.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Gilbo

Thanks for prompt and helpful advice. My unit was in the starboard locker. A cursory look indicated aft cabin headboard removal and thanks to your advice aft cabin bulkhead removal! It was out last winter for installation of new Autohelm...........! I will take a deep breath and start dismantling! Many thanks.
David G