Cracks around prop strut

Previous topic - Next topic

ewengstrom

We had the boat hauled this past Thursday for some pretty extensive bottom work over the winter.
When I got to the yard on Friday, I immediately noticed these cracks weeping  moisture around the strut. Water is also seeping from around the strut itself.
I'm familiar with how the strut is attached from earlier posts but I'm not clear as to the fill method around it
Is it glassed in or was a filler applied to the area?
The strut itself is not loose at all and no water is leaking into the boat. Obviously I'll have to do some exploratory surgery but any knowledge/experience is certainly appreciated.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

kh3412

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,11021.msg87125.html#msg87125
Before digging out the strut check the small bilges for cracks and water. Had the same leak
On mine.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

ewengstrom

There's no indication of cracks inside or leaking inside of the hull.
I'm sure once the area is ground out I'll get a clearer picture and will post same at that time just to perhaps help someone who finds the same issue in the future on their boat.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

scgunner

ewengstrom,

I've had the same one at the rear since I got my boat in 1988 and I've considered it to be another Catalina Smile. When I pull the boat I just groove the crack and fair it with West Systems as required.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

The strut is bedded in a mish-mash of fillers. And attached with carriage bolts. If the struts is not loose or leaking through to the inside of the boat, the cracks are just partially through and trapped water is draining put. I would explore/grind a bit and and fill with epoxy, fair and paint. If sturt is loose or leaking through you'll need to do a lot more.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

ewengstrom

Kevin, Interesting that this seems to be as common as the Catalina Smile...I sure was alarmed when I first saw it but felt better once I'd grabbed hold of that strut and prop and found it to be solid with no wiggle whatsoever. We're Chesapeake Bay/Potomac River sailors and as such I did pick up a crab pot one time maybe year or so ago and I was wondering if that somehow caused the issue....

Noah, I do remember those pics you shared again. (thanks!!!) and knew the cracks are at the cutout for the strut mount. I'll be grinding it out tomorrow and will share the results here with pics. Interesting that it's just filler in there, I would think that the area should be ground out around the mounting area and glassed over so it wouldn't crack.....but if it's just fill, it will be an easy repair.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

scgunner

Eric,

I've always considered it to be caused by long term hull flex and has never caused me any problems over the course of 35 years. This last time I hauled the boat for bottom paint was the first time I had the yard guys do it. Along with bottom paint they replaced the prop shaft and cutlass bearing but they never even mentioned the crack so I assume they thought it was no big deal either.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

There are a couple of layers of glass over filler. Look at the 3-page installation instructions .pdf document.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Eric : I have the same cracks, but I determined that they are just cracks in the gelcoat!! They do NOT extend into the fiberglass and roving.   
So I just treated them as superficial like the Catalina Smile!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ewengstrom

I finally took the time yesterday to grind this area out and I'm glad I did. The cracks were definitely in the gelcoat, but the fill is quite porous and totally saturated. I had my air compressor on hand and put the nozzle in one of the larger holes at the aft end and got quite a bit of water dripping out from the forced air.
I'm going to let it dry out over the winter and do more investigating to see if I should go any further....but again, I'm glad I didn't ignore it.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15