Auto Pilot, Navigation, Instruments and Software Integration

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyBC

Quote from: RaymondP on February 22, 2024, 06:30:16 AMSuccessfully removed the old control unit mounted to the right (starboard) of the wheel, and trying to trace the three sets of wires to understand how the old system was set up.  Ran out of time after dismantling multiple panels in the aft cabin and elsewhere, but try as I may I have been unable to locate the ACU (gray box) or the compass (white puck).  Assume there are two units as with the new system, so can anyone confirm and advise potential locations to minimize the wild goose chase?

Exciting times indeed!  I did this same install last season.  I turned the boat upside down looking for the old ACU before I realized that there wasn't one, per Dave's comment above!  I found the old compass easily (mine was black) - it was under the cabin fwd port settee, which is where I put the new EV1 compass since it is an ideal location.  Over-all I found the install was conceptually easy, but took me parts of 2 days to do because of pulling out old wires and fishing in new from the nav locker where the ACU lives to the binnacle.  Good luck!
1998 C34 MKII #1394 - M35BC, WK

RaymondP

Thanks guys.  No wonder!  :clap  So I wasn't going blind/crazy.  Onward and upwards.
1986 Catalina 34 Mk 1 Tall Rig, M25 21hp engine.
Long time sailor and racer, first time sailboat owner with intent to cruise and explore the Great Lakes.

robbjd

Raymond, last spring I replaced an old Raymarine system with new Raymarine gear, EV-100, Axiom+12,new wind, speed, & depth instrument with an i70 display. The old "compass" was installed under the v-berth,and the old instrument box for the wheel steering system was in the forward end of the cockpit locker. I installed the new instrument box, and heading sensor in the cockpit locker, and have a seatalkNG backbone that integrates an AIS unit and my VHF in the main cabin. I single hand on Lake Huron and have found the new gear to be reliable, and very customizable.
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada