Input on New Sails

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulfsailor

I need to replace the mainsail and have started looking at options / pricing.

The sail loft I used for our last boat in Pensacola wants $2900 for 8.5 Oz Dacron - full battened with two reefs.

National Sail has a standard Catalina 34 sail for about $1400. https://nationalsail.com/sails/catalina-sails/catalina-34-std-rig-sails/catalina-34-std-mainsail/

They said it would be about $600 extra to add the Dutchman (like our current sail) but I think that system negatively affects the sail shape when deployed so will probably just add Ladyjacks.

Any input on who is the go-to for reasonably priced cruising mainsails would be great!
Thanks in advance!
Rick
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

karista

Quote from: Gulfsailor on February 25, 2024, 04:38:51 AMI need to replace the mainsail and have started looking at options / pricing.

The sail loft I used for our last boat in Pensacola wants $2900 for 8.5 Oz Dacron - full battened with two reefs.

National Sail has a standard Catalina 34 sail for about $1400. https://nationalsail.com/sails/catalina-sails/catalina-34-std-rig-sails/catalina-34-std-mainsail/

They said it would be about $600 extra to add the Dutchman (like our current sail) but I think that system negatively affects the sail shape when deployed so will probably just add Ladyjacks.

Any input on who is the go-to for reasonably priced cruising mainsails would be great!
Thanks in advance!
Rick

I Purchased a 150 Headsail from National Sails. I provided them the exact dimensions, spreader patch location, Sunbrella sun cover color and other specifics. I was very pleased with the quality/materials of the sail and would purchase from them again. The important consideration is that you need to provide them all the dimensions/details that you would require.
Instead of Lazy Jacks you may want to go with a Mack Pack which comes with Lazy Jacks.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Stu Jackson

Rick,

The "compleat" answer to your question is:

Lowest cost usually comes from mail order sails, often good deals for standardized sized sails for known and popular boats, more issues for you if something is not right.

Higher cost and assured fit come from more local sail lofts who will come to your boat to measure and install and later adjust your new sail.

You can't have both.

[Edit]  In every single one of these "What sail should I buy?" on the internet, a majority of the answers will be folks letting you know what they bought.  What is almost always missing is the route in which they made their choice, first up these ^^ two issues, then the ones below.  It's the nature of internet communications, and perhaps people don't like to write (or blather as much as I do :D), where you get WHAT they bought, not the hows and whys.  I also rarely read anybody saying they were unhappy with their decision, it's rare but sometimes folks will make an admission, usually not for a product, though, but for service.

I don't recall anybody reporting a serious negative sail maker review on this board (the website's been here since 1998, the forum since 2001).

Two quotes is a very limited pool from which to choose.  Sail Warehouse has "stock" Catalina 34 sails, don't know if Catalina Yachts still does.  Roly Trasker has been mentioned here a lot.  I'm sure a search here on the phrase "+new+sails" would provide you with lots of reading material and more choices, and a Google search would list all sail makers in existence.

Details, details, details...it's all in the details, is so very true.  Reinforcing locations, materials and strength...number of reefs...headboard, tack & clew details...leech adjustment line (often forgotten or neglected)...luff slug selection and materials...etc.  Good sail makers have check lists for all this stuff.

Good luck in your searching, your boat, your choice. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bob K

I purchased my main and 150 Genoa from Mack sails.  Have been very happy.... It's been 8 years now.   
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

TortolaTim

I'm in the process of getting a new genoa from Precision Sails in Victoria BC. So far I'm very pleased with them. From the research I've done, most people seem to be pretty happy with the product.
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL