MK II Full Bimini Tips - Ideas - Photos….please

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulfsailor

All, our new to us C34 has a small Bimini over the helm and a dodger.  There is a large space with no sun cover.

Being that we are in south Florida, we won't use the dodger much except for the few winter months and while making passages.

We are looking for ideas where we can redo the Bimini (and frame) to extend the entire way from the back of the cockpit to the companionway with the ability to attach a spray shield / dodger to the front of the modified frame as I'm afraid this will require 86 ing the current dodger and frame.

I have seen C34's with a connector piece between the Bimini and dodger but we don't want the obstructed view of the dodger (except for the times mentioned above).

I had a canvas guy give me an estimate to do this and he proposed the full Bimini with zip-on isinglass panels to act as a dodger.

If you have a full Bimini can you please share what you have done with a photo?

Thank you in advance!
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

ewengstrom

I built this bimini/dodger/connector in 2021 and made it so that the front and side panels are removable. They simply use zippers.
We always remove the connector when sailing for an unobstructed view forward.
We have a full dodger for when we want it and can connect both for inclement weather. When it's hot we remove all the windows and enjoy the breeze thru the open dodger and still have full shade.
Quite versatile and easy to use and it doesn't require reworking the frame.
I'd also note that modifying the bimini frame would not be possible on our boat. Look at the boom where it lines right up with the bimini frame.  When sheeted home the boom would hit the frame if it were any further forward.
I can't quite tell from your photo but I suspect you would encounter this issue too.
Best of luck with your project!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Gulf : Look at Eric's post above. A connecting piece between the Dodger and the Bimini is the answer.

Note that Eric has the side hand holds on the dodger. I also have a full width hand hold welded on the aft of the dodger.  I'd recommend both.

Looks like you have a ridged Vang, so you shouldn't have any Bimini interference problems.  I also have a ridged vang.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Gulfsailor

Ron and Eric, thanks for the replies. The cockpit on the MKII is about a foot wider at the stern, so the top will taper in.

Eric, how do you keep the front part of the dodger on the frame when the windows are out?

Thanks
Rick
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Jim Hardesty

A couple of pictures that show Shamrock's canvas but not well.  It's the one supplied by Catalina and is called California style.  I like it.  I do have a connector piece and don't find too bad to sail/motor with.  I've thought about having one made from isinglass or the sunbrella sun mesh but haven't. One picture shows a sunshade that I had made up, zips into the Bimini where the connector would zip.  Works well at anchor and after a little practice goes up quick.
I recommend you sail and think some about sailing without the dodger.  Often have waves hitting my dodger.  But that's sailing in Lake Erie.
FWIW when I replaced my canvas a few years ago got it from the shop Catalina uses and it was just like original and much less cost.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

ewengstrom

Rick,
The top of the dodger is made exactly like a bimini, it has zippers across the front for the front panels and along the sides for the side panels. Of course there is a zipper across the top on the back for the connector piece. It was a tone of work designing and building it but the versatility is worth it. When the front/sides are removed it provides a nice breezeway for the air to pass thru and can be quite comfortable in hot weather.
Our dodger frame has the hand hold welded across the back and that is outstanding for having something to grab on to when heeling over. I added those side hand rails, I copied this dodger from one that came with our last boat, it worked so well I knew this was the design I wanted.   
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Gulfsailor

Quote from: ewengstrom on February 20, 2024, 03:49:23 AMRick,
The top of the dodger is made exactly like a bimini, it has zippers across the front for the front panels and along the sides for the side panels. Of course there is a zipper across the top on the back for the connector piece. It was a tone of work designing and building it but the versatility is worth it. When the front/sides are removed it provides a nice breezeway for the air to pass thru and can be quite comfortable in hot weather.
Our dodger frame has the hand hold welded across the back and that is outstanding for having something to grab on to when heeling over. I added those side hand rails, I copied this dodger from one that came with our last boat, it worked so well I knew this was the design I wanted.   

Our dodger frame has the hand hold on the rear of it too. I will look into duplicating your setup. Thanks a bunch!
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Ron Hill

Gulf and Guys : Whenever you have canvas made Make sure that you specify that the shop use "life of the material thread". You'd be surprised how fast the UV eats up regular thread!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

ewengstrom

Quote from: Ron Hill on February 20, 2024, 03:33:05 PMGulf and Guys : Whenever you have canvas made Make sure that you specify that the shop use "life of the material thread". You'd be surprised how fast the UV eats up regular thread!!

Ron makes an excellent point here and I want to second that motion. I sewed all my canvas with PTFE thread from Sailrite and am thoroughly pleased with the results. A very dear friend used white "outdoor" polyester thread on his green canvas and he was re-stitching in one year.
My labor was worth the extra cost...and that honestly wasn't much. One large cone did the entire bimini, dodger, connector, three hatch covers, hand rail covers, cockpit coaming compartment covers, engine panel cover and four winch covers and I still have some left on the cone for other projects yet to be thought up.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Jim Hardesty

QuoteRon makes an excellent point here and I want to second that motion.

I agree with that.  Also go with the better isinglass, think the trade name used on mine was stratiglass.  It's still nice and clear after 6 seasons.  Also haven't restitched anything.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA