air intake silencer

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Do you have an M25 or an M25XP?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that Pete has an M25XP engine - which first started with the 1987 C34 production!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 30, 2023, 03:13:17 PM
Guys : I believe that Pete has an M25XP engine - which first started with the 1987 C34 production!!

A thought

From Pete's picture it's an XP not an m-25.  I missed the telltale and it was right in my face <embarrassed>.

Edit:
[It's also an early XP because it has the horizontal Hx bracket and the m-25 style bell housing.  Later XPs have a completely different bell housing.]
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Not sure what the cause of the confusion is.  Here's a pic of another m25xp with the same air intake:

(EDITED)

I meant OD!! of the VW filter. Mea culpa.

Pete
Are you saying that the two parts in this pic fit together?  They sure dont look like it but could be just the angle of the pic. 

In essence you don't need the "horn" -  put a foam silencer wrap on it that fits the ID OD of your VW filter and you're good to go.  If you cant find one its easy to make it.  I believe that Ron or someone had described how somewhere on the forum.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 01, 2023, 08:19:54 AM

In essence you don't need the "horn" -  put a foam silencer wrap on it that fits the ID OD of your VW filter and you're good to go.  If you cant find one its easy to make it.  I believe that Ron or someone had described how somewhere on the forum.

The horn/snout disappeared somewhere in 1986.  The earlier '86 boats with M25 engines had the horns, mine didn't. 

But there are OLD style vs. NEW style round "filters" 'cuz when I went into my Universal dealer that's how he had his parts book marked up.  :D  Old style was circular but with the guts like in the last photo in the post above.  New style has the bigger metal guts that go all the way to the edge of the holder with the perforated enclosure, then foam around that.

This has the model #  of the foam filter replacement:
Engine Air Filter Replacement Sponge  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7370.msg50214.html#msg50214

Ron's solution was to buy the foam, trim to size and stitch the ends together.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Standard Rig

Ed Shankle

Or from a hardware store/Home Depot/Lowe's that sells lawnmower tune up products, most likely cheaper than CD
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

KWKloeber

Guys,

Understand that Pete retrofitting the assembly with the VW filter cartridge LIKELY (not absolutely) means that both the diameter and height are different than the coffee-can type that assembly takes the stock foam silencer that Stu and Noah speak of.  That is why I said "fitzTheODofTheVWfilter," instead of "fitzThestockUniversalAssembly," (ie, what CD and Wb sells.)

I like too ended up getting a suitable foam prefilters from a bid box and good small engine dealers - it's just a matter of taking it in as Ed said and sizing it up.  NAPA seems to have a good line of small engine stuff, tho I'm not sure how much is normally stocked in stores.

Noah

Ken, are you saying he could NOT just replace the whole "shooting match" with the kit sold by CD for $90?
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-350/engine/air-filter-waluminum-honeycomb-universal-diesel/?SearchResults=1
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on December 03, 2023, 01:47:21 PM
Ken, are you saying he could NOT just replace the whole "shooting match" with the kit sold by CD for $90?

Can't get to the CD site - so didn't know what you were referring to but originally thought it was the foam prefilter since that's all Pete seems to be missing for a functional unit.

I suppose he could replace his shebang but why, for the sake of a couple dollar foam prefilter?
IIWMB and I was prone to spending boat bucks I'd go with the KN but I don't know how the noise is on that vs the foam silencer.

Pete G

To clear up any remaining confusion, some more pics.
Pete G
"Maris Otter"
1987 C34T #371
Wildwood YC
Cleveland, OH

KWKloeber

Nice work, it's a work of art Pete.

Ron Hill

Pete : You can make a "silencer" which is just a piece of foam yourself like I do.  Go to a fabric store and buy some 1/2" thick foam and cut it to size.  I used a sewing machine to sew the ends together (tricky). 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788