Aft water tank removal Good news & Bad news

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

In reading their literature RudderCraft has unique approach, adding drain holes that drain water out of rudder. They expect it to weep but water will not saturate the high density foam they use. This could confuse the unknowing boatyard, surveyor or new owner—who may think the water leak is a sign of "rudder-trouble"?!?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

kh3412

Quote from: waughoo on November 15, 2023, 08:52:56 PM
KH3412,

Is that rudder the upgraded elliptical shoal draft?

Yes it is. Think with shipping it was cheaper than CD
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

I pulled the rudder this year for a deep inspection. I have the old style (non-elliptical) rudder and it appears to be in good shape based on some selective surgery to examine the internal grid. The post looks fine too so given all that I'm going to do the elliptical conversion Ron Hill did so many moons ago. Looking forward to improved handling in the future!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

kh3412

Quote from: waughoo on November 16, 2023, 10:37:47 PM
Quote from: kh3412 on November 16, 2023, 03:27:24 PM
Yes it is.

Did you notice any improvement over the non elliptical it replaced?
Not going to lie I don't know.
I am not a sailer was a power boater my whole life, we wanted to slow down and enjoy water
and got a sailboat.
So never really put a rail in the water.
Still backs with a walk to port and doesn't respond till you get some speed and put it in neutral.
Mine was cracked at the post and did not want to take chance.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

waughoo

Gotcha.  It is likely at the limits that one notices most of the improvement. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : Just be aware that when you do the scab-on to make an elliptical rudder in a MK i that I did - you will have a slightly heavier rudder.  Catalina compensated for that in the MK II by having a larger wheel!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 19, 2023, 02:30:26 PM
Guys : Just be aware that when you do the scab-on to make an elliptical rudder in a MK i that I did - you will have a slightly heavier rudder.  Catalina compensated for that in the MK II by having a larger wheel!!

A thought

Maybe, maybe not about the larger wheel, because the Mark II cockpits are wider.

I sailed on Dave Davis' #707 after he put on the elliptical rudder, with his old "tiny" wheel, and it was just fine.  Point is the E rudder is much better balanced, which was most of the whole idea anyway.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."