Raising the boom

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Quote from: KWKloeber on September 25, 2023, 03:28:15 PM
Paul

As I said, "yes."
No pics.

I simply moved up the gooseneck bracket (it mounts differently than yours.)   
If it gives you enough lift maybe use the top holes as the new bottom holes?

My boom had leeway as well and I shortened it a tad to help keep it from hitting on the angled-down connecting awning.

I like that idea Ken. I had our new sail made in 2016, they were supposed to cut the sail so that the aft end of the boom was raised by 6in. Not sure if they did that. The bolt on the end of the boom does touch the front edge of the bimini. But as you state, the boom is longer than needed. I could cut a few inches off of the boom and that would solve the problem that I share with the OP. However, that would also move the topping lift nearer to the mast and thus contact the sail more than it currently does.   I have seen a SS support bracket that mounts on the end of the boom which lifts the lower end of the topping lift about 10" higher and that would solve the issue.   Any idea of the name of that bracket? I believe that it's normally a component of a stack pack.
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Paul

I have something similar but much shorter (4-5" I'd guess.)
It's just a stainless tang, hole on one end to fit the bolt on the cap on the boom and the other a slot (1" long??) to fit a shackle/block (how the 30 was originally rigged.)  I turned the TL around (ran it to a new clutch on cabin top) so boom end is just a shackle on that tang.   
If you had a shop cut you a strip out of 1/8" stainless and punched holes it it that would work.

Alternatively I designed, trial and improve) my "topping lift keep-away, which works great to keep my TL off the roach.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

I found this in a MackSails video
https://youtu.be/DYa1AKO9JiM?si=xrWMwlSsMC-BnjYz

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Paul

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

I don't have a Bimini (just a dodger) but I would think another, albeit more expensive solution, might be get a Boom Kicker or ridged boom vang. I use a ridged vang and no topping lift.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

That's ok but I always like to have a Plan B (a TL that works and doesn't interfere) if the vang goes to hell. 

waughoo

I have the set up that Noah has: boom kicker/vang and removed the topping lift entirely.  When the main sail is put away, the main halyard gets connected to the aft end of the boom to keep it from shaping the mast and support the boom.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

I have a BoomKicker and a TL. As Ken said you never know what might happen. I also have a spare main halyard and a SST plate on the aft boom cap it can attach to before dropping the main as a last resort.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Paulus

Update on raising the boom.  I can move the gooseneck up 5" and use the top holes for the bottom holes.  Spoke with the sailmaker and he wants to measure before I do anything.He wants to know how much room I have at the head of the sail.  I had already taken down the main and put away for the winter.  We will be doing this in the spring.  Had our first snow in western Michigan(10" in Muskegon).
Thanks for all the input and ideas.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paul : I installed a Garhauer ridged boon vang - then took of the topping lift as it was not needed!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Quotethen took of the topping lift as it was not needed!!

I have a ridged vang but use the topping lift to run fancy dress up the mast.  The main halyard is busy with the inmast furling.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA