Mast alignment, stay length

Previous topic - Next topic

Baysider

I've noticed my C34 tilts to port ever since I bought it a few years ago (maybe 5 to 8 degrees).  I recently notice that looking up from the cabin, the mast is touching the port side of the opening in the deck.  Upon further checking the port side stays are all shorter than the starboard side stays.  Lowers are about 3/4" short and upper is about 2.5" short Measured to the chainplate with a taut halyard.  Cool!  Maybe an adjustment is in order!  The problem, I found, is that the turnbuckles on the uppers are at the absolute limit of their (opening) adjustment.  I looked for longer replacement T-bolts at Garhayer, Catalina direct and West Marine and came up empty.   I did a google search but am unsure whether those that came up are good replacements.  Has anyone had this issue or know of a reputable supplier?
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Safe Harbor Willsboro Marina
Lake Champlain, NY

Jim Hardesty

It may be that some one mixed up the turnbuckles.  On Shamrock the forward turnbuckles are a different length than aft. 
Hope it's a simple as that.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Bay : On a MK 1 C34 the Aft and Fwd lower stay turnbuckles are the SAME !!!

What you need to do is to get the mast centered!!
Take the main halyard and add a weight to it and let hang so the weight is about an inch above the deck.  You'll need about 6 inches of aft rake and you'll also see if the mast is leaning for/aft or port/starboard.  To correct the lean adjust the lower stays (with the upper stays loosened) until the weighted back stay is parallel to the mast (6" rake).   :thumb:

You might have to adjust the wedges for the mast?!?    :clap

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Patches

Ron's right.  What matters is that your rig is tuned and not what it looks like in the partners.  After tuning by a professional rigger, my mast sits very close to the starboard side of the partners and (comparatively) very far from the port side of the mast partners/deck opening.

Was one of the reasons I eventually went with Spartite to space (and seal) the mast within the partners:  wedges were shifting and falling out, and would have needed to be quite different in width to actually keep it from shifting while under sail.

This is also fairly common.  Spartite says as much in its instructions.  Most keel stepped masts are not "centered" in the partners when tuned.

Or, you can always get a c34 Mark II and problem solved.

P

Baysider

Thanks for all of the comments/suggestions.  Unfortunately as I mentioned the turnbuckles on the uppers are at their maximum opening length so they can't be adjusted to help in centering the mast to the hull (I won't be concerned with centering to the partner) and the port stays w/turnbuckles are all shorter than the starboard stays measured to the chainplates.  The mast definitely leans to port more than the hull does. That's why I'm looking for a way to possibly extend the port upper (longer t-bolt?) to give me some room for adjustment. 

Jim: I hadn't thought of looking for a turnbuckle with a longer body that can screw into the threaded end of the stay.  Do you know where to get such turnbuckles?

Patches: A mark II?  Do you know of any in the northeast that are for sale below market?

Again, thanks.
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Lake Champlain, NY

Ron Hill

Bay : Have you used your main halyard and checked it against the mast like I mentioned??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI hadn't thought of looking for a turnbuckle with a longer body that can screw into the threaded end of the stay.  Do you know where to get such turnbuckles?

I don't know without looking.  Perhaps you could just buy a longer toggle.  google "rigging toggle" 
I think that some parts are mixed up or not seated all the way.  I believe that all was good when it was new but maybe someone botched up rerigging.  Does your mast sit firmly on the step?  Use your binoculars and take a look at the mast fittings especially if they are the ball sockets.   Before you start buying and changing rigging it may be worth it to have a rigger look it over.
That's my 2 cents.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Baysider

Ron:

I have used the halyard in the past to check the tilt.  Better yet, it's clear to the eye that the mast leans to port.  I can't get the upper stays much looser, as they are almost at their maximum length. Max I can get is likely 1/4" on either side.  Are you saying that the tilt is adjusted only with the lower stays?  Clearly the uppers would have to be adjusted to ensure the mast will remain straight once the tilt is corrected by the adjustment of the lowers but, as I mentioned, there's insufficient adjustment in the uppers. 
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Lake Champlain, NY

Ron Hill

Bay : Here are a couple of things to check:

As Jim mentioned look for a longer body turnbuckle.  Also check that your upper chainplate bottom plate (on the inside of the salon) is tight up against the UNDER side of the decking.

Yes, you need to adjust both the upper and the lower stays to get the mast to stand straight!!  Make sure the your deck is level and you are standing in the middle while checking!!!

A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

What Stu is talking about is the rods in the saloon behind the setee.  He is suggesting you check those to make sure they are adjusted such that the plate inside the boat is touching the underside of the deck.  If those rods in the salon aren't adjusted to the correct length, the Chai plate will not project through the deck the correct amount.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Baysider

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I'll be heading to Champlain in a few weeks to haul out and will check what you've suggested then.  I hope your sailing is good!
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Lake Champlain, NY

Ron Hill

Bay : After looking around you might be better off looking for a longer threaded "T" bolt that goes into the turnbuckle bottom rather than a longer turnbuckle body!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Baysider

Thanks Ron.  That was one of my initial thoughts but I have been unable to locate any.  Nothing is, of course, easy.
1990 Standard Rig
Wing Keel
Hull 1011
Lake Champlain, NY